Kratom designation meaning (MD, Super, Premium)

Discuss kratom, vendors, strains, side effects, or any aspect of usage without censorship. Have a question about kratom? Ask it here and it get it answered by our friendly userbase.
Post Reply
Theanine
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:01 am
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Kratom designation meaning (MD, Super, Premium)

Post by Theanine »

While there is a lot of discussion on "strain" colors, I rarely see anyone talk about the very important Kratom designations.

Now, the naming only matters if the vendor does not change the Kratom name or designation established by the original farmer to something inane without any meaning or logic to it, such is usually the case. However, not all vendors succumb to marketing and low respect for their customers. Botanical Bunny for example sticks to the original farmer names and designations.

:idea: So, based on my own experience and research, this is how it goes: :idea:

:arrow: MaengDa (MD) -- Older, more mature and larger leaves, sometimes Wild species, with a naturally higher alkaloid contents.

:arrow: Premium -- High quality, mid canopy foliage exposed to minimum sun bleaching, much finer grind, provides more robust effects.

:arrow: Super -- The stem and vein is extracted from the foliage prior to processing, increasing the potency of the final product.

Now, a product can have more than one designation, it just means that it combines several of the above mentioned factors.

For example, Premium MD is a mid canopy leaf with finer grind which comes from an older wild tree with higher alkaloids.
The same with the Plantation MD designation, it would obviously be farm grown rather than the wild species with fewer alkaloids due to soil depletion. Super MD would come from an older plant, possibly wild without any stem or vein in, providing a different more speedier experience.

Theoretically, while I am personally yet to see it, a leaf can carry all 3 main designations of Premium, Super and MD simultaneously.
That leaf would be first, from older trees with larger leaves (MD), second, collected from the best quality spot of the mid canopy foliage and very finely ground (Premium), and finally third, having no vein and stem, giving it the Super designation.*

:!: *Just a side note, the stem and vein of the plant has much fewer alkaloids so a Super designation requires a dose reduction to achieve the same effects.

I have given it much thought, and it all adds up.
While I am certain that there is MUCH more to it than this, it is a good start.
I have been using my designation chart for my own picks with much success, just wanted to share it.
If we understand what each name really means, we have a much better chance of picking the "strain" with the specific effects that we seek from this plant.

Let us open a discussion about this so that we can make better Kratom buying decisions! :mrgreen:
CatfatherB
Kratom Guru (Rank 9)
Kratom Guru (Rank 9)
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Kratom designation meaning (MD, Super, Premium)

Post by CatfatherB »

I think "premium" originally meant that the stem was removed and "super" meant the oversized leaf, of course it's all marketing terms? ;)
Theanine
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:01 am
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Re: Kratom designation meaning (MD, Super, Premium)

Post by Theanine »

CatfatherB wrote:I think "premium" originally meant that the stem was removed and "super" meant the oversized leaf, of course it's all marketing terms? ;)
So, it's the other way around then, I shall make the edits. My reason for thinking that "Super" was stem and vein free was because it is how some Indonesian farmers refer to their destemmed plant material prior to grinding, casing it the Super Indo. Sure, all those names are 100% made up. However, they do carry meaning, especially coming from a knowledgeable farmer. How else are we suppose to know what is what?

I always get good effects from any MD I have ever tried. Not the case with other varieties, why is that?
Premium leaf always hit me nicely, so there is the difference in quality.
Perhaps, it should be graded by quality rather than anything else.
User avatar
mivanqua
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am

Re: Kratom designation meaning (MD, Super, Premium)

Post by mivanqua »

Check out Gumbys post about how it is treated. Is just bags of.crushed leaves. I dont think they seperate it like that. HOWEVER in one of the kratom videos, a guy who works in an Indo milling place called one of the strains "super green" so THEY came up with that name I guess, but still, just bags of crushed leaves.
Theanine
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:01 am
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Re: Kratom designation meaning (MD, Super, Premium)

Post by Theanine »

mivanqua wrote:Check out Gumbys post about how it is treated. Is just bags of.crushed leaves. I dont think they seperate it like that. HOWEVER in one of the kratom videos, a guy who works in an Indo milling place called one of the strains "super green" so THEY came up with that name I guess, but still, just bags of crushed leaves.
How come Premium MD is clearly superior to regular "strains" In fact, ALL MD's have been effective for me. BB's Premium MD is on its own level.
So, there is a quality gradient, not all kratom is the same. The "MD", and "Super" designation have clear effect differences.
ALL Super varieties are too speedy for me, its like an edgy effects, not the warmth of the MD's.
In fact, non MD strains provide little to nothing, and MD's kick my butt every time. There is something going on, differing sources and processing methods. Industrial oven drying started to become popular for alkaloid preservation.
Alas, those designation only give us clues as to their actual origin and methods of processing....
User avatar
mivanqua
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am

Re: Kratom designation meaning (MD, Super, Premium)

Post by mivanqua »

I didnt say all kratom is the same. I don't believe that to be true. I have a sampler that has like 8 strains from GoE and they are all a different shade. I get what you're saying. Still. I don't think it's separated like that. I think some is good and some is not. Drying is everything.
Theanine
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:01 am
Location: Jacksonville, Florida

Re: Kratom designation meaning (MD, Super, Premium)

Post by Theanine »

mivanqua wrote:I didnt say all kratom is the same. I don't believe that to be true. I have a sampler that has like 8 strains from GoE and they are all a different shade. I get what you're saying. Still. I don't think it's separated like that. I think some is good and some is not. Drying is everything.
Maybe so, but how to differentiate them then? Good Green/Bad Red?
I for one am only buying MD's from now on. I can even feel one teaspoon of them (2.5 grams) while all the other crazy strains require at least twice as much...
enjoyalienation
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:51 am

Re: Kratom designation meaning (MD, Super, Premium)

Post by enjoyalienation »

Theanine wrote:I always get good effects from any MD I have ever tried. Not the case with other varieties, why is that?
Premium leaf always hit me nicely, so there is the difference in quality.
Perhaps, it should be graded by quality rather than anything else.
You're lucky. It's really rare that a Maeng Da does anything for me, personally. Some leaf designated as "Premium" has strong effects for me, but some of it is just average. I think in a perfect world these designations would hold true, but unless someone is overseeing the entire process there's no way to know for sure. I use the strain names, batches, and colors to figure out what I like from a vendor. Everything varies from batch to batch. When I order, I usually get a couple of the hyped up strains from this forum and a couple random strains I haven't tried. 3 years ago when I first began to take kratom, I assumed that these designations were correct, as that's what was being said on Reddit at the time. But over the years a lot of reliable information has been presented to us which would suggest otherwise.
User avatar
gumbyke1
Verified Vendor
Verified Vendor
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Kratom designation meaning (MD, Super, Premium)

Post by gumbyke1 »

Please check for update #4 on my post about behind the scenes of kratom tonight!
Texas Family Harvest - for connoisseurs, by connoisseurs.
enjoyalienation
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:51 am

Re: Kratom designation meaning (MD, Super, Premium)

Post by enjoyalienation »

gumbyke1 wrote:Please check for update #4 on my post about behind the scenes of kratom tonight!
Yes! I'm excited for it. I've been loving your thread. It's extremely informative.
Post Reply