What is the difference in rainy and dry season kratom?
-
Greyson6ix
- Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:36 pm
What is the difference in rainy and dry season kratom?
Is there really a big difference in terms of effects when it comes to rainy season kratom VS. dry season kratom? For example, is the kratom in a rainy season more stimulating? Or more sedating? Etc.
Things of that sort. Have you guys personally noticed any differences like that or had a vendor tell you that?
Things of that sort. Have you guys personally noticed any differences like that or had a vendor tell you that?
- gumbyke1
- Verified Vendor

- Posts: 806
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 pm
- Location: Dallas, Texas
Re: What is the difference in rainy and dry season kratom?
Great question - one that has been discussed for years on end. I wouldnt say that kratom harvested during the rainy season has a specific characteristic to it, its just on average not as desirable to most folks. What this means is if you have a certain threshold of quality that needs to be met, you can expect that a lower percentage of batches are going to meet that standard. We call this KPI our "clearance rate". With our January harvest, we had an extremely unusually high clearance rate, which means more batches than normal scored high enough to make our menu. This is actually what led to our Double M open-order event! We have many more products that qualified for the menu than we forecasted - so who better to share it with?
The volume of rainfall and plays a significant role in the kratom trees production of secondary metabolites, which are essentially responsible for the alkaloids we are looking for. Also, the humidity that comes along with the rain creates poor conditions for executing the drying process. Now that certainly doesn't mean that you cant get high-quality kratom during the rainy season, you certainly can, it's just the average odds of doing so drop... sometimes significantly. However, there is actually a very specific weather-related scenario in which the rainfall actually creates the ideal harvesting condition - some of the best kratoms ever comes out of it. However, that event is a very rare occurrence.
There are things you can do to off-set some of the drying challenges, but most producers dont bother... they just simply just let things dry for a longer period of time (even letting kratom get rained on multiple times throughout it drying). However, there is are very few options for mitigating the effects that rainfall has on the production of secondary metabolites. We have been working for a good portion of the year on a way to re-create the ideal harvesting condition I mentioned above. We have had some success, but we haven't figured out a way to do it to scale practically. I seriously doubt anyone else has either - or even knows what those conditions are.
I've seen arguments as to how drastic people think the effect is and I cant honestly give you a precise answer. What I do know is that its enough that even very early on in the kratom days, people have noticed it even without having any kind of concept as to what impacts the quality of kratom. I think all of those who have been taking kratom for years can speak to an average drop off that occurs. The great batches during this period tend to sell much faster, as it becomes kind of a feeding frenzy when somebody discovers a great batch because they are more difficult to come by.
With all that said, there are ways around things. If you are curious - in our TFH special event vendor posting, somebody inquired about rainy season leaf and I gave a short explanation on how we approach the problem - so that its not a problem
I hope that helps!
The volume of rainfall and plays a significant role in the kratom trees production of secondary metabolites, which are essentially responsible for the alkaloids we are looking for. Also, the humidity that comes along with the rain creates poor conditions for executing the drying process. Now that certainly doesn't mean that you cant get high-quality kratom during the rainy season, you certainly can, it's just the average odds of doing so drop... sometimes significantly. However, there is actually a very specific weather-related scenario in which the rainfall actually creates the ideal harvesting condition - some of the best kratoms ever comes out of it. However, that event is a very rare occurrence.
There are things you can do to off-set some of the drying challenges, but most producers dont bother... they just simply just let things dry for a longer period of time (even letting kratom get rained on multiple times throughout it drying). However, there is are very few options for mitigating the effects that rainfall has on the production of secondary metabolites. We have been working for a good portion of the year on a way to re-create the ideal harvesting condition I mentioned above. We have had some success, but we haven't figured out a way to do it to scale practically. I seriously doubt anyone else has either - or even knows what those conditions are.
I've seen arguments as to how drastic people think the effect is and I cant honestly give you a precise answer. What I do know is that its enough that even very early on in the kratom days, people have noticed it even without having any kind of concept as to what impacts the quality of kratom. I think all of those who have been taking kratom for years can speak to an average drop off that occurs. The great batches during this period tend to sell much faster, as it becomes kind of a feeding frenzy when somebody discovers a great batch because they are more difficult to come by.
With all that said, there are ways around things. If you are curious - in our TFH special event vendor posting, somebody inquired about rainy season leaf and I gave a short explanation on how we approach the problem - so that its not a problem
I hope that helps!
Texas Family Harvest - for connoisseurs, by connoisseurs.
-
Greyson6ix
- Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
- Posts: 56
- Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:36 pm
Re: What is the difference in rainy and dry season kratom?
THIS is the answer I was hoping for. Thank you very much for the detailed explanation. Been super curious to try you guys leaf. When does your open sale end? Might just have to try some outgumbyke1 wrote:Great question - one that has been discussed for years on end. I wouldnt say that kratom harvested during the rainy season has a specific characteristic to it, its just on average not as desirable to most folks. What this means is if you have a certain threshold of quality that needs to be met, you can expect that a lower percentage of batches are going to meet that standard. We call this KPI our "clearance rate". With our January harvest, we had an extremely unusually high clearance rate, which means more batches than normal scored high enough to make our menu. This is actually what led to our Double M open-order event! We have many more products that qualified for the menu than we forecasted - so who better to share it with?
The volume of rainfall and plays a significant role in the kratom trees production of secondary metabolites, which are essentially responsible for the alkaloids we are looking for. Also, the humidity that comes along with the rain creates poor conditions for executing the drying process. Now that certainly doesn't mean that you cant get high-quality kratom during the rainy season, you certainly can, it's just the average odds of doing so drop... sometimes significantly. However, there is actually a very specific weather-related scenario in which the rainfall actually creates the ideal harvesting condition - some of the best kratoms ever comes out of it. However, that event is a very rare occurrence.
There are things you can do to off-set some of the drying challenges, but most producers dont bother... they just simply just let things dry for a longer period of time (even letting kratom get rained on multiple times throughout it drying). However, there is are very few options for mitigating the effects that rainfall has on the production of secondary metabolites. We have been working for a good portion of the year on a way to re-create the ideal harvesting condition I mentioned above. We have had some success, but we haven't figured out a way to do it to scale practically. I seriously doubt anyone else has either - or even knows what those conditions are.
I've seen arguments as to how drastic people think the effect is and I cant honestly give you a precise answer. What I do know is that its enough that even very early on in the kratom days, people have noticed it even without having any kind of concept as to what impacts the quality of kratom. I think all of those who have been taking kratom for years can speak to an average drop off that occurs. The great batches during this period tend to sell much faster, as it becomes kind of a feeding frenzy when somebody discovers a great batch because they are more difficult to come by.
With all that said, there are ways around things. If you are curious - in our TFH special event vendor posting, somebody inquired about rainy season leaf and I gave a short explanation on how we approach the problem - so that its not a problem![]()
I hope that helps!
- gumbyke1
- Verified Vendor

- Posts: 806
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 pm
- Location: Dallas, Texas
Re: What is the difference in rainy and dry season kratom?
Saturday of next week is the last day!
Texas Family Harvest - for connoisseurs, by connoisseurs.