Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Discuss kratom, vendors, strains, side effects, or any aspect of usage without censorship. Have a question about kratom? Ask it here and it get it answered by our friendly userbase.
Post Reply
javagurl62
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:26 pm
Location: South Texas

Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by javagurl62 »

I fucked up a few times lately. I had to take 2 trips out of town & the airport has been a trigger of sorts for me. So yesterday I put the plug in the jug so to speak. I'm also out of my Norcos. I still don't feel good but at least I'm sitting up! Actually I went in the kitchen to make up another cup of tea with another 2.5 grams of BB Red Banjar in it. First dose was 2 with about 40 grams of Red extract. The Banjar both times. my Keurig with a Detox tea bag in it. I ran it through I don't remember feeling anything exciting about this strain but today it's feeling nice. That along with a hit of Indica :D and a little klonipin. I did ask my doctor yesterday to refer me to someone else in their huge orthopedic practice for a hip replacement. I had my shoulder scoped in December and that guy did a fine job. Curious if anyone else has used kratom to get them through withdrawal for things other than the obvious opioids. I'm probably dealing with a little of that, too, but I've been putting together some pretty goood blocks of clean time from them so it's not that bad when I quit or run out which is the more likely scenario :roll: I thought I read a post on here about someone using kratom to stay away from alcohol.
* javagurl62
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by beathappening »

40 grams of extract in a single dose?! You won't feel anything from plain leaf. You'll be getting withdrawals from that alone...you'll need a whole separate detox for that. You should be fine with Klonopin and weed, wish I had that during my detoxes. I'd recommend a significant taper off the extract, that's got to be extremely expensive.

I use kratom in part to stay off alcohol, but it barely helps the wds.
Oletimer
Exalted Kratomite (Rank 7)
Exalted Kratomite (Rank 7)
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by Oletimer »

Is that a typo? Do you mean 4 gr??
javagurl62
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:26 pm
Location: South Texas

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by javagurl62 »

OMG! I know I'm not right in the head today! :lol: It was .4 grams, not 40 :shock: I usually aim for about a quarter but if I go over by a little, I'm fine with it. I dump it on top of my leaf and it can be hard to pick some out without contaminating my leaf. This day is definitely better because of kratom and yes, the klonipin does help. That's what they give you if you have to go to a detox center. Not klonipin but librium, ativan or some other benzo. You can die from alcohol and benzos if you were too far gone. I'm not there, but even small amounts of alcohol don't agree with me. Part of the reason I'm going in for the hip replacement is in the hopes of not needing the Norco. That's a real slippery slope for me, probably many others. The problems with alcohol is it's so easy to get. Fortunately I have a pretty good stash of kratom. I'm going through this forum for some ideas for when I make my freezer stash in a little bit. I wasn't really using my kratom on that last trip which really threw me off the deep end :oops: It gave me a bit of a tolerance break so the timing is working in my favor. I've been making teas with kratom, of course, and either detox tea or green tea with vitamin B6. Then I stir in some Light Agave Nectar. It actually tastes almost good! :mrgreen:
* javagurl62
javagurl62
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:26 pm
Location: South Texas

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by javagurl62 »

Oletimer wrote:Is that a typo? Do you mean 4 gr??
.4 or .40 if you want the zero. I add the extract on top of my powder when it's sitting on my scale. Fucking pissed that I lost my oblate disks :evil: I want' to try some of BalzDeep's ideas for improving my freezer stash so I can get more of the oblates when I go on Amazon. I'd like to find bigger ones, truth be told. The ones I had didn't hold that much.
* javagurl62
User avatar
Liam
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:50 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by Liam »

While reading and seeing 40 grams, the first question was, what the hell? I hope you get the desired effect, without a placebo;)
Screamingwhismur
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:44 am

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by Screamingwhismur »

Yeah, kratom is great for helping me stay away from alcohol, but it won’t do anything for the dangerous parts of alcohol withdrawal. If you have a history of seizures or high blood pressure during withdrawal, then you should find some benzos. If you don’t have any, your GP will likely be helpful. A five dollar script of Ativan is better than an ER or in-patient treatment bill. Good luck! I’ve been there a whole bunch of times and I know it sucks, but you can do it!
javagurl62
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:26 pm
Location: South Texas

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by javagurl62 »

Screamingwhismur wrote:Yeah, kratom is great for helping me stay away from alcohol, but it won’t do anything for the dangerous parts of alcohol withdrawal. If you have a history of seizures or high blood pressure during withdrawal, then you should find some benzos. If you don’t have any, your GP will likely be helpful. A five dollar script of Ativan is better than an ER or in-patient treatment bill. Good luck! I’ve been there a whole bunch of times and I know it sucks, but you can do it!
If it was a full blown tear, it would have been a problem. I got through with a .5 klonipin cut in half. Thanks to kratom for improving my mood and getting me up and about. I didn't even need anything for sleep last night. I know where I can get some 2 mg klonipins and have been meaning to get a few to add to my stash (3 left from the prescription I had to give up in order to get more pain medication). I know all about it, how alchohol and benzos can kill you in withdrawal. I've also been there many times. I almost died last year with alcoholic ketoacidosis. It was not fun. I made an appointment with pain mgmt. that time and got a script that got me up and able to go back to work. I have some dillies coming in tomorrow, more kratom from Liza'a by the weekend. Hopefully, after I have my hip replacement, I'll be able to get off the pain meds. God knows as addicts (alcohol is a drug), any other drug is a slippery slope. :(
* javagurl62
MethMeowth
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by MethMeowth »

I quit binge drinking and a few other things with the help of kratom. Can't drink much because I'm already concerned about taking (prescribed) high xanax doses daily and kratom at the same time. Xanax Is 100% hell
User avatar
herbalhippie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7127
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by herbalhippie »

Screamingwhismur wrote:Yeah, kratom is great for helping me stay away from alcohol, but it won’t do anything for the dangerous parts of alcohol withdrawal. If you have a history of seizures or high blood pressure during withdrawal, then you should find some benzos. If you don’t have any, your GP will likely be helpful. A five dollar script of Ativan is better than an ER or in-patient treatment bill. Good luck! I’ve been there a whole bunch of times and I know it sucks, but you can do it!

I nursed my kid's dad through a few alcohol detoxes at home before the last one before he quit drinking for good. That last detox ended him up in the ICU for five days. It was very bad indeed.

For the few at home before that, his doctor prescribed him Librium, but only gave him 10 pills. Not nearly enough. I was on atenolol at the time and after researching it, added that to his detox protocol and it helped immensely. Brought down his blood pressure which was going pretty high and also helped with the anxiety.
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by beathappening »

MethMeowth wrote:I quit binge drinking and a few other things with the help of kratom. Can't drink much because I'm already concerned about taking (prescribed) high xanax doses daily and kratom at the same time. Xanax Is 100% hell
Oh I feel you, benzos are insanely hard to quit, and the withdrawal symptoms range from annoying to dangerous, and last months...and kratom isn't that great of a help during it. Just an idea, switch over to a longer acting benzo like valium before you think about tapering off, if tapering is something you want to do. You may already know this but valium leaves your body much slower than the short acting Xanax, making it easier to adjust to the drop in dosage. That's what they did for me in the hospital, I had a seizure from cold turkey benzo wd and they put me on valium, didn't have another seizure after that.
User avatar
swablero
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:59 pm
Location: NY

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by swablero »

Ive used kratom to come off rebound anxiety from a benzo taper. Benzos withdrawal is very similar to coming off alcohal in your body and mind. But you sound very knowledgeable, I second what someone else said don't get hooked on the Benzo coming of alcohol. Its a tool use it with discretion. My understanding is youll never be really off alcohol if you are still taking benzos. Kratom and CBD (im not in a legal state) were irreplaceable in my benzo taper. You probably know the routine but using strains to deal with anxiety and pain are best. One thing I did during that time was dose much more frequently. Once a dose faded I would re-dose like clockwork before the anxiety and physical symptoms had a chance to get at me. This sounds obvious and simplistic but I also found it really helpful to stay out of stressful situations. Even family gatherings can ramp up the anxiety. Keep busy during the difficult times. I would look at heavy reds fermented like your Banjor and unfermented. Kraydo has some nice ones like Asia. Very little energy in that leaf. And mood boosting green-reds like ST R Bali. Good luck and let the community know how its going.
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by beathappening »

Yes, benzos and alcohol both work on the GABA-A receptors in the brain. It's almost like your brain thinks they're the same thing. They cause cross tolerance to each other. Benzos can be a good tool to quickly taper off alcohol, but if you keep taking them you're just substituting one addiction for another very similar one. The withdrawals for both are nearly identical. The opposite is also true, if you keep drinking after you discontinue benzos, you're still addicted, physically and otherwise.
User avatar
e_poison
Admin
Admin
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by e_poison »

Kratom can sometimes help with a hangover headache, as long as you only take a very small amount. If you take too much, it makes the hangover much worse. Kratom and alcohol both dehydrate, and a hangover is basically dehydration. So take that small kratom dose with plenty of water.

The best way (besides not drinking, of course) to prevent a hangover in the first place... pedialyte. Drink a whole bottle of it before you go to bed after a night of drinking. I didn’t believe it until I tried it, and now I’m a believer. :lol:
✉️ Contact: doublemherbals [at] gmail.com
✅ Donate: $jasondoublem
MethMeowth
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by MethMeowth »

For easing the symptoms kratom is great. If you can down it on a hangover. And arent in danger from withdrawal
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Kratom for hangover & alcohol detox

Post by beathappening »

Well yeah it's super easy to get through a hangover if you're stuffed to the gills with benzos. You're probably attributing the relief that Xanax gives to being from kratom. Kratom by itself doesn't do much for a legitimately bad hangover.
Post Reply