Slowww Red Recommendation?

Discuss kratom, vendors, strains, side effects, or any aspect of usage without censorship. Have a question about kratom? Ask it here and it get it answered by our friendly userbase.
Post Reply
Ezriderx2x
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 299
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:02 am

Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by Ezriderx2x »

I have a large stock, with some strong performers...but the one thing I am missing is a slow, heavy red for bed. I have reds and bents from quite a few vendors. Though they are decent, none consistently have that heavy feeling I look for when winding down late at night. Anyone have a good recommendation?
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by beathappening »

Seconded.

Even strains that are said to be sedating don't really do it for me. Maybe I'm looking for something that kratom can't provide, but it would be nice to have something to get to sleep.
®eddit®efugee
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Re: Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by ®eddit®efugee »

I just tested out DGBotanicals Red Maemg Da (received two days ago.) This is what I posted in the "what are you burning today?" Thread:

Two thumbs up. I had knee pain from a sharp barometric pressure change. That's gone. Had some hiatial hernia discomfort and while I can still feel it, it's not bugging me as much so I think that has more to do with mental effects rather than physical ones. insomnia which may or may not be solved when I go down for a nap.

I'm a bit fuzzy headed but not much head pressure, though I have been drinking water. I took 1 teaspoon. My husband took eleven size 00 capsules. He has a migraine and it seems to be working for him. Not enough for him to really be up and about but enough, it seems, to negate some or most of the pain that woke him up this morning.

I got 250 grams of it without testing it with a smaller size so while it's not a 100% reorder, it would have been if it had been only a one ounce.

I don't notice much in the way of euphoria though. But definitely a mellow, content to be a lump-on-a-log and while the hot afternoon away catnapping (or, I hope, getting actual sleep.)

My husband is about four hours into his dose. And I'm maybe almost three hours in. So the legs on it are at least that long and should be longer.

This is not what we had planned for our day, but all things considered, I'm not going to complain too much about how we spent the day in bed reading our phones, shit talking about our dogs, discussing the first few episodes of Atlanta season 2, and occasionally getting up for a small bite from the kitchen and refilling our waters. And now, hopefully, sleep.


Update: the legs for me winded up lasting 5.5-6.5 hours. It was 6 hours before I was good for anything. I did sleep but because it was during the daytime I did feel like I had to get up to take care of stuff that had fallen by the wayside. And 1 teaspoon (my normal though I am lucky that back before the proposed ban when I was trying strains almost every day because I was unsure if I would keep any if the ban went through, that I reacted to kratom in dosages less than a teaspoon) WAY too much. Closing my eyes, while not giving me the spins or nausea, did give me a lot of visual brain activity. I did not feel safe to drive and so did not.


So DGB's RMD is definitely a contender for you I think.
®eddit®efugee
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Re: Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by ®eddit®efugee »

beathappening wrote:Seconded.

Even strains that are said to be sedating don't really do it for me. Maybe I'm looking for something that kratom can't provide, but it would be nice to have something to get to sleep.

A few supplements that help are magnesium (especially epsom salt baths before bed. I like to do 2 cups to a bath and a cup of borax for boron), vitamin D3, and glycine (an amino acid found in collagen.) You can get this cheap on amazon-- I favor bulk supplements for glycine but I don't think I would buy magnesium from them because there's been some bad reviews about heavy metals in them. But you can also try to source more glycine from your food which is probably a better idea anyway.
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by beathappening »

Teaspoon? No scale?

I'm kinda put off by DG because of the high prices. But insomnia is an issue, I'd love to find an affordable solution to that without having to resort to pills.

I take magnesium and fish oil supplements daily, along with a multivitamin and other medications. I have a knockout pill but I don't enjoy the side effects and the hangover. I also take melatonin and have tried other natural sleep aids, and plenty of unnatural ones (fuck ambien and lunesta and trazodone). Just seems like nothing will work at this point. Holding out a sliver of hope for a good potent SLOW red.
®eddit®efugee
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Re: Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by ®eddit®efugee »

I did scale for a long time and still bring it out from time to time, but a teaspoon, while not precise, is a happy medium. It doesn't help you but for me I know which ones I can try at half a teaspoon (or even less. I have a set of those dash, pinch, smidgen which goes 1/8 teaspoon, 1/16 teaspoon, and 1/32 teaspoon-- though often this is used for making 1 dose blends) or start at a flat teaspoon.

How much magnesium are you taking? You might find you need more or a different type of magnesium. Potassium is also something that people are low in but the supplements suck, so I would suggest lite salt which is cheap and 50/50 sodium/potassium.
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by beathappening »

I take the magnesium sodium, 500mg daily. I know sodium is inefficient compared to citrate but I don't think I could handle the citrate shits.

As far as potassium, i wasn't aware of that...my multi has several B vitamins in it, but not sure about potassium specifically. I eat a lot of eggs, spinach, and fish. I know it's always better to get your vitamins from food and not pills...maybe I should eat more bananas.
®eddit®efugee
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Re: Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by ®eddit®efugee »

Eh bananas with the sugar is not that great. If I recall correctly I think avocados are a higher source. You might try bumping up to 800mg but it could be that the form you have isn't working for you. Magnesium glycinate is supposedly one of the most bioavailable but it's also one of the most expensive.

I got a bottle of magnesium oxide over the summer and while it has one of the poorest percentages in terms of bioavailability, the amount that is in the pill is higher so it wound up being that the same or more was getting through to me compared to a more expensive, more bioavailable, but less magnesium per pill product.

Magnesium supplementation can also depend on if you're a man or a woman with women who have periods needing more magnesium leading up to their periods. Supposedly this is where the chocolate craving comes from, the body signalling a deficiency in magnesium.

I'm not sure if you have cold hands and cold feet, but when I do, in the past I've taken magnesium in conjunction with niacin. I've tried both flushing and non flushing and while both seem to help with sleep, I found the flushing type conducive to relaxation and warm hands and feet. Be warned though that flushing, especially the first or second time can be a bit of the wtf experience. I like the burning itching feeling. It kind of feels like my lymph nodes are getting a workout and at the end I feel that slight stupor akin to spending all day at the swimming pool and coming home and laying in the shade.


I have tried multi b vitamins and I can't do B12 in higher amounts as it makes me feel cracked out. So I've slowly been trying different b vitamins (b vitamins being a misnomer. They're not really related. They were kind of a catch all organizational attempt for different chemicals. B6 could have been named vitamin X and B12 could have been vitamin L. It's just a strange little history to that category of vitamins which does a disservice to them because most either take a multi b vitamins or go without, when they could be taking them separately and see what their body actually needs.


Here is a decent overview of magnesium that I found that may show new info for you:
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magne ... sional/#h8

Here is the wiki on b vitamins. Seems like the only thing they share is their water solubility:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_vitamins

Also writing this out made me want brownies so I blame you for that :D
jitterbug
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:57 am

Re: Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by jitterbug »

I just got KOG's red borneo a couple days ago. This 1 works for sleep! Highly recommended
l5s1bgon
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Re: Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by l5s1bgon »

DG has numerous strong, very low end reds currently. I totally agree with (r)eddit(r)efugee, the current red MD is strong and quite slow. Also the current red borneo. I haven't had the current ones but SRVB and bentuangie are usually quite strong and slow.

Socal's recent red borneo, gold bent, red bent, and gold borneo are all nice, all low end and decent potency. RVA red borneo, wild red, red bigbang were all nice slow reds last fall, haven't ordered from RVA since then though.

Kraydo recent (received in March) reds that are def slow: red bali, red asia, red horn, red aceh.

Smiley's red bent, red maha. Soulvit red bb, red house 42, chocolate, dark elephant.
l5s1bgon
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Re: Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by l5s1bgon »

beathappening wrote:Seconded.

Even strains that are said to be sedating don't really do it for me. Maybe I'm looking for something that kratom can't provide, but it would be nice to have something to get to sleep.
Kratom has never made me truly sedated. Even really low end leaf tends to keep me up if I take it too late at night. I think I'm hypersensitive to the stimulation aspect, I have to blend or take very small amounts of the really fast whites and greens or they're just overwhelmingly fast. For this reason I have mostly gravitated toward more balanced, mid spec leaf and the really low end stuff. I usually start the afternoon with something mid and then switch to low end leaf in early evening.

One of the slowest strains I have ever had is Soulvit PMD from January, which I assume is a green. Very nice batch IMO, but I took it in the early afternoon once and regretted it lol.
l5s1bgon
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Re: Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by l5s1bgon »

®eddit®efugee wrote:Eh bananas with the sugar is not that great. If I recall correctly I think avocados are a higher source. You might try bumping up to 800mg but it could be that the form you have isn't working for you. Magnesium glycinate is supposedly one of the most bioavailable but it's also one of the most expensive.

I got a bottle of magnesium oxide over the summer and while it has one of the poorest percentages in terms of bioavailability, the amount that is in the pill is higher so it wound up being that the same or more was getting through to me compared to a more expensive, more bioavailable, but less magnesium per pill product.

Magnesium supplementation can also depend on if you're a man or a woman with women who have periods needing more magnesium leading up to their periods. Supposedly this is where the chocolate craving comes from, the body signalling a deficiency in magnesium.

I'm not sure if you have cold hands and cold feet, but when I do, in the past I've taken magnesium in conjunction with niacin. I've tried both flushing and non flushing and while both seem to help with sleep, I found the flushing type conducive to relaxation and warm hands and feet. Be warned though that flushing, especially the first or second time can be a bit of the wtf experience. I like the burning itching feeling. It kind of feels like my lymph nodes are getting a workout and at the end I feel that slight stupor akin to spending all day at the swimming pool and coming home and laying in the shade.


I have tried multi b vitamins and I can't do B12 in higher amounts as it makes me feel cracked out. So I've slowly been trying different b vitamins (b vitamins being a misnomer. They're not really related. They were kind of a catch all organizational attempt for different chemicals. B6 could have been named vitamin X and B12 could have been vitamin L. It's just a strange little history to that category of vitamins which does a disservice to them because most either take a multi b vitamins or go without, when they could be taking them separately and see what their body actually needs.


Here is a decent overview of magnesium that I found that may show new info for you:
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magne ... sional/#h8

Here is the wiki on b vitamins. Seems like the only thing they share is their water solubility:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_vitamins

Also writing this out made me want brownies so I blame you for that :D
This was simultaneously informative, interesting, and HILARIOUS!!! Especially the part about the feeling after the pool! LOLOLOL Thank you! You made my morning lol. And now I want brownies too, I blame YOU for that!! Haha
User avatar
WhiteAngelica
Kratom Pro (Rank 8)
Kratom Pro (Rank 8)
Posts: 1161
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:07 pm
Location: New York

Re: Slowww Red Recommendation?

Post by WhiteAngelica »

I mix BB's Rojo Loco with Yellow Vietnam and I'm in total knockout mode.
The Red Queen
Post Reply