Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
-
acejestyr15
- Kratom Guru (Rank 9)

- Posts: 1442
- Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 am
- Location: Northwestern NJ
Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
So my younger sister was diagnosed with Nocturnal Epilepsy a few years ago.... Meaning she only has seizures in here sleep. On Monday, she threw her back out pretty bad and hasn't been able to sleep or dull the pain since!!! I want to give her some Kratom as I know it'll help.... But I'm afraid of how it with interact with her epilepsy as well as whatever meds she takes for it. Anyone have any insight? Are there certain types that may be better/more allowable for someone in her position?? I don't want to make things worse for her when I'm only really trying to help, thanks in advance for any and all help everyone!!!
- mivanqua
- Kratom Champion (Rank 11)

- Posts: 2353
- Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
What causes epilepsy? It's a brain thing, right? Seems like it has to do with misfires of the synapses or something. Hang on, I'm going to look this up...
Ok. The above is sort of correct. The brain has a huge surge of electric impulses and it effects the muscles so the seizing is the electric impulse overload.
Now, there are a lot of causes for this condition listed, however its vague as well. Do you have any insight into what caused this condition to occur? This is important to deciding if kratom is safe in my opinion.
Ok. The above is sort of correct. The brain has a huge surge of electric impulses and it effects the muscles so the seizing is the electric impulse overload.
Now, there are a lot of causes for this condition listed, however its vague as well. Do you have any insight into what caused this condition to occur? This is important to deciding if kratom is safe in my opinion.
-
FireK
- Exalted Kratomite (Rank 7)

- Posts: 833
- Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:32 am
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
I would consult a doctor, I know those meds can be sensitive to minor changes..... also look into CBD ive seen examples of that helping with epilepsy and seizures but don't know a lot of details Good Luck!
- mivanqua
- Kratom Champion (Rank 11)

- Posts: 2353
- Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
That's true! Remember the lady who was isolating CBD for kids with epilepsy and the cops fucking BUSTED her? This was long before CBD was for sale ANYWHERE, much less fucking gas stations! So if it works for kids, it works for anyone I'd say.FireK wrote:I would consult a doctor, I know those meds can be sensitive to minor changes..... also look into CBD ive seen examples of that helping with epilepsy and seizures but don't know a lot of details Good Luck!
She kept saying "it doesn't get them high! There's no THC!"and they had her hand cuffed and shit! Such bullshit!
-
acejestyr15
- Kratom Guru (Rank 9)

- Posts: 1442
- Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 am
- Location: Northwestern NJ
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
I get all of these point and thanks very much everyone!! But, at same. Time I'm not trying to treat the epilepsy nor seizures.... Just give her some relief from throwing her back out while being epileptic. She had a script for medicinal marijuana and smoke plenty so CBD unfortunately will not be the answer here.
- herbalhippie
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 7127
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 pm
- Location: Washington State
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
Myself, I wouldn't mix kratom with epilepsy meds.
Can she go to a doc and get pain relievers or muscle relaxers?
Can she go to a doc and get pain relievers or muscle relaxers?
-
acejestyr15
- Kratom Guru (Rank 9)

- Posts: 1442
- Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 am
- Location: Northwestern NJ
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
Idk, but I doubt it. Doctors don't just give that stuff out so lightly around this way anymore!herbalhippie wrote:Myself, I wouldn't mix kratom with epilepsy meds.
Can she go to a doc and get pain relievers or muscle relaxers?
- mivanqua
- Kratom Champion (Rank 11)

- Posts: 2353
- Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
I'm going to look up epilepsy meds now.herbalhippie wrote:Myself, I wouldn't mix kratom with epilepsy meds.
Can she go to a doc and get pain relievers or muscle relaxers?
- herbalhippie
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 7127
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 pm
- Location: Washington State
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
Whatever happened to the good old days of being able to buy Soma and Morphine otc at the corner drugstore.acejestyr15 wrote:Idk, but I doubt it. Doctors don't just give that stuff out so lightly around this way anymore!herbalhippie wrote:Myself, I wouldn't mix kratom with epilepsy meds.
Can she go to a doc and get pain relievers or muscle relaxers?
Narcotic pain relievers are hard to get but muscle relaxers usually aren't and might help.
- gumbyke1
- Verified Vendor

- Posts: 806
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 pm
- Location: Dallas, Texas
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
Hey that is a tough one, Im sorry to hear about your sisters condition. I think its great that you are using every rescource you can think of to help her out. I am not qualified to give any kind of medical advice, but I personallydo not mix kratom with any medication. I go on kratom breaks any time I am on medications... even simple antibiotics. We all know that certain medications and suppliments interact with eachother, sometimes with lethal results. Im sure most would consider this overly cautious, but then again Im a very risk adverse person (Im kind of a square actually, I wont even drink alcohol
)
Im sure this doesnt help to say, but a healthcare professional should really be the one to advise on this. I totally get why you are asking here though... if we had doctors that actually knew what kratom was things would be so much easier for us. With that, I know that there are some pretty awesome subreddits that exist for this very type of question. There are reddit forums for pharmasicst and doctors where they answer all kinds of questions, even some that are related to non-prescription substances. Im sure you can find them with some good searches, if I can recall where I had seen them I will let you know.
Im sure this doesnt help to say, but a healthcare professional should really be the one to advise on this. I totally get why you are asking here though... if we had doctors that actually knew what kratom was things would be so much easier for us. With that, I know that there are some pretty awesome subreddits that exist for this very type of question. There are reddit forums for pharmasicst and doctors where they answer all kinds of questions, even some that are related to non-prescription substances. Im sure you can find them with some good searches, if I can recall where I had seen them I will let you know.
Texas Family Harvest - for connoisseurs, by connoisseurs.
-
beathappening
- Banned
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
My friend has regular epilepsy and takes several epi meds....lamictal and keppra, maybe another one (I take lamictal too, as a mood stabilizer)..... He's taken kratom several times, mainly greens and reds, that I've given to him and been fine, he even said it makes him feel better. He doesnt take it regularly though, mainly because the taste and method of ingestion. I know everyone's different, but in this one case it's been fine and even helpful, especially after a seizure. He also smokes weed and that seems to help the best.
I don't have epilepsy, but I take several meds myself and have no trouble mixing with kratom. I know there are some meds out there that seem to diminish the effects of kratom, but I personally don't know of any that are actually contraindicated.
I don't have epilepsy, but I take several meds myself and have no trouble mixing with kratom. I know there are some meds out there that seem to diminish the effects of kratom, but I personally don't know of any that are actually contraindicated.
-
FartBlaster
- Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)

- Posts: 685
- Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:18 pm
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
My sister has epilepsy , takes meds for it and has had no problems
-
Kunlong
- Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
- Posts: 249
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:26 pm
- Location: New Mexico, USA
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
There's no real toxic reason not to and it could maybe make her drowsier the first couple of times. But she should be able to use it with seizure meds i can think of? Would they give her vicodan? She can take kratom - unless something specific in some odd drug shes taking says not to mix with pain killers
-
Kunlong
- Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
- Posts: 249
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:26 pm
- Location: New Mexico, USA
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
EAT the pot and taper off the destructive meds. I did not know people who ate pot had siezures....unless it was an injury or something pretty drastic.beathappening wrote:My friend has regular epilepsy and takes several epi meds....lamictal and keppra, maybe another one (I take lamictal too, as a mood stabilizer)..... He's taken kratom several times, mainly greens and reds, that I've given to him and been fine, he even said it makes him feel better. He doesnt take it regularly though, mainly because the taste and method of ingestion. I know everyone's different, but in this one case it's been fine and even helpful, especially after a seizure. He also smokes weed and that seems to help the best.
I don't have epilepsy, but I take several meds myself and have no trouble mixing with kratom. I know there are some meds out there that seem to diminish the effects of kratom, but I personally don't know of any that are actually contraindicated.
Roast the powdered pot on foil in the oven 200 degrees for 20 minutes. It will change color and be several times more bio available orally. Eat about a capsule worth a couple times a day
-
beathappening
- Banned
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
Uh...what? The weed isn't giving him seizures. He has them naturally. His meds help limit the seizures drastically. Smoking weed helps with the discomfort that comes after having an intense grand mal seizure, but it doesnt totally prevent them. Not really sure what you're talking about. I've never heard about baking weed in the oven, much less it increasing the bioavailability.
- herbalhippie
- Global Moderator

- Posts: 7127
- Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 pm
- Location: Washington State
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
When I'm making infused coconut oil for my pain rubs I decarb the cannabis spread out on a baking sheet at 220 for about 40 or 45 minutes. You have to have heat to activate the THC or it won't work, or at least not as well.
-
beathappening
- Banned
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
Yeah I suppose if you're making edibles that makes sense. But I don't know if there's a difference between smoking it and eating it, and if that has any effect on someone with epilepsy. I believe smoking/vaping has a much higher bioavailability than when taken orally or as a topical.
-
Kunlong
- Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
- Posts: 249
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:26 pm
- Location: New Mexico, USA
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
They conceal that information in books. I was just suggesting something you can look into. What he is taking is not what he is made of and is deleterious to their health. Seizure drugs are not harm free or beneficial by any means. (That too is hidden away in free open databases and online libraries for googling up)beathappening wrote:Uh...what? The weed isn't giving him seizures. He has them naturally. His meds help limit the seizures drastically. Smoking weed helps with the discomfort that comes after having an intense grand mal seizure, but it doesnt totally prevent them. Not really sure what you're talking about. I've never heard about baking weed in the oven, much less it increasing the bioavailability.
Didn't mean to get all technical
-
Kunlong
- Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
- Posts: 249
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:26 pm
- Location: New Mexico, USA
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
Well if you had ever actually read about it instead of guessing? The medical information. You are just helping back up what people say about stoners.beathappening wrote:Yeah I suppose if you're making edibles that makes sense. But I don't know if there's a difference between smoking it and eating it, and if that has any effect on someone with epilepsy. I believe smoking/vaping has a much higher bioavailability than when taken orally or as a topical.
Read books about the real and known uses. You will be surprised. Entire protocols that many have done
-
Kunlong
- Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
- Posts: 249
- Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:26 pm
- Location: New Mexico, USA
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
Isn't it the longer cooked, the more cbd is enhanced and if you want a max cbd/min thc out of regular, you increase the decarb time? They grow cbd strains, but the rough&ready po boy with any weed was shorter decarb for thc and extended decarb for cbd value.herbalhippie wrote:When I'm making infused coconut oil for my pain rubs I decarb the cannabis spread out on a baking sheet at 220 for about 40 or 45 minutes. You have to have heat to activate the THC or it won't work, or at least not as well.
In any case, it saves money.
-
beathappening
- Banned
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
I did look up the bioavailability actually.Kunlong wrote:Well if you had ever actually read about it instead of guessing? The medical information. You are just helping back up what people say about stoners.beathappening wrote:Yeah I suppose if you're making edibles that makes sense. But I don't know if there's a difference between smoking it and eating it, and if that has any effect on someone with epilepsy. I believe smoking/vaping has a much higher bioavailability than when taken orally or as a topical.
Read books about the real and known uses. You will be surprised. Entire protocols that many have done
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2689518/
Theres a thing called the internet. It's similar to books, but it has more information and is updated more frequently. You can even search for things you don't know about. You should look it up and educate yourself so you don't come across as foolish.
You can save your demeaning assumptions and false sense of confidence. Its not a good look on you. I actually do read quite a bit, and I research things I don't know about. Your posts are hard enough to decipher already, the fact that you're insulting someone for not reading is extremely rich when your syntax looks like you lost a fight with a Slovakian Google translator.
Also, I didn't know you were an expert on epilepsy? Are you a doctor? So in your opinion, is it better to suffer grand mal seizures every day, which itself is very deleterious, or take a medication to prevent seizures? No shit it's "not what he's made of", that's why he has to put it into his body in a pill form, it may have consequences but I guarantee you he would rather deal with the consequences of a medication that the ones of constant and debilitating seizures. Certain medications are without a doubt beneficial. Maybe you ought to read up on medical literature and drug trials. Personally, I have seen it firsthand.
-
daydreamerinwords
- Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
- Posts: 17
- Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:11 pm
Re: Epileptic diagnosis and Kratom.....
I do not know about Kratom’s interactions with epilepsy, but I would definitely recommend getting a hold of CBD if you have access to it. It’s relaxing overall and has been shown to help folks with epilepsy.