Page 1 of 1
Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 pm
by boomshay
Hello,
My doctor made me take drug test because Im prescribed ambien, the hospital requires patients to pass a drug screen if prescribed scheduled drugs.
I assumed this would be a standard 5 panel test, instead they sent it to a lab across the country and they did a full analysis. (cost my insurance nearly 1000 dollars)
I tested positive for Kratom, more specifically mitagrynine metabolites.
I have an appointment tomorrow, haven't spoken with the DR yet. Am I fucked? Is there anything I can say to keep my ambien prescription or is it a lost cause?
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:05 pm
by Luk3
Are you in a banned state? I don’t understand why they would test for that substance..
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:13 pm
by boomshay
I'm in a legal state, I don't understand either.
Kratom was not listed at a substance they are testing for in my contract, so I'm hoping I'm worrying for no reason, but would like to be prepared to argue my case if not.
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:28 pm
by e_poison
Remind them that it's fully legal in your state, but they will probably ask you why you take it. Just be upfront and honest. My guess is you will still get your prescription since it's only for ambien and not a painkiller.
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:50 pm
by boomshay
I'm not sure I want to divulge my past drug addiction to a dr with the capability of marking me as a drug seeker.
Maybe this is flawed thinking, but I doubt they'd give me any bonus points for figuring it out on my own rather than using their methods.
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:59 pm
by Ezriderx2x
I definitely wouldn't go into much detail. Just say you tried it recently to help with anxiety or to find a more natural way to help your insomnia. If the Dr says anything about pulling your script, bring up the legality etc. While they can still pull the script if they desire, you could raise hell about it if need be. Did they test for caffeine? CBD? Nutmeg? It's all legal..
With that said, I don't think you'll have an issue. Just be up front, but only say you used it once to try. They should not see the levels in your system.
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:09 pm
by rhythmsaint
Kratom sometimes ends up on a list with substances that doctors consider intoxicants. They are able to refuse treatment regardless of legality for those substances.
Some doctors are pro kratom and some are not. I'd share some real science with your doctor if it's an issue.
https://www.americankratom.org/science.html
As you've probably seen I'm trying to get an actual doctor to respond to you on your Reddit post.
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 pm
by e_poison
boomshay wrote:I'm not sure I want to divulge my past drug addiction to a dr with the capability of marking me as a drug seeker.
Maybe this is flawed thinking, but I doubt they'd give me any bonus points for figuring it out on my own rather than using their methods.
Yeah, thats a good point. I was thinking more along the lines of telling a doctor you take kratom for energy, to relax, for pain relief, etc. Definitely leave any drug history out. Once they mark you down in the system as an addict of any kind, it will be extremely difficult to get certain medications in the future.
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:31 am
by boomshay
UPDATE:
This is going to be anti climactic, I really appreciate all the replies and helpful comments in this thread.
I went to my scheduled appointment and waited for the dr to bring up the failed test... and waited and waited until finally towards the end he said the drug screen looked "all good" and we were good to continue the Ambien script.
I was surprised and obviously wasn't going to argue. I guess the drug screening company saw it as a fail because there was a foreign substance, but the Drs don't care as long as it's legal and doesn't have any negative interactions with the prescribed drug.
My apologies for being a drama queen and expecting an ambush. But again, thanks for all the insight.
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:04 pm
by ®eddit®efugee
Instead of saying you take kratom to help with insomnia, I would say anxiety or to help you wake up in the morning. That way he doesn't turn around and try to stop your sleeping pills. Keep in mind though that Ambien is supposed to be a short term medication anyway so if he does want to stop the prescription he should be setting you up for a safer long term option.
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:30 pm
by IndelibleDotInk
I would think twice before using Ambien - I had a prescription and took it at night immediately before lying down. I only used it as directed, and one morning I woke up with memories of an incredibly detailed dream - I was at a bar and they stopped serving me beers and I left... only to find a receipt from some bar about two miles away in my wallet later that day. Scary stuff.
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:57 pm
by herbalhippie
Yeah I've seen some scary stories about Ambien. I use Flexeril as a sleep aid, either half a pill or a whole one depending on how much I think I'm going to need that night.
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:01 pm
by mivanqua
herbalhippie wrote:Yeah I've seen some scary stories about Ambien. I use Flexeril as a sleep aid, either half a pill or a whole one depending on how much I think I'm going to need that night.
Yeah, me too. I honestly wonder how this stuff gets approved. The sleepwalking and sleep-whatever is a common side effect and I have a terribly hard time believing NO TEST SUBJECTS had that problem. "Incredibly detailed dreams" seem to be commonplace with that shit as are car accidents and worse, but its approved nonetheless. Makes NO sense to me on any level.
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:30 pm
by herbalhippie
mivanqua wrote:herbalhippie wrote:Yeah I've seen some scary stories about Ambien. I use Flexeril as a sleep aid, either half a pill or a whole one depending on how much I think I'm going to need that night.
Yeah, me too. I honestly wonder how this stuff gets approved. The sleepwalking and sleep-whatever is a common side effect and I have a terribly hard time believing NO TEST SUBJECTS had that problem. "Incredibly detailed dreams" seem to be commonplace with that shit as are car accidents and worse, but its approved nonetheless. Makes NO sense to me on any level.
No it doesn't make any sense at all but, you know, big pharma.

Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:51 pm
by beathappening
I had a false positive for PCP. Needlessly to say I was not (nor never) taken PCP. They really need to be lab tested (GC /MS) to be confirmed...those basic 5-16 panel tests are wack.
Re: Failed a drug test from doctor
Posted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:42 pm
by mivanqua
beathappening wrote:I had a false positive for PCP. Needlessly to say I was not (nor never) taken PCP. They really need to be lab tested (GC /MS) to be confirmed...those basic 5-16 panel tests are wack.
Spoken like a dude that likes to get WET! Haha! I'm only kidding, of course, PCP eh? That's nuts!