Page 1 of 1

Moisture absorbed into sealed Kratom

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:23 am
by FartBlaster
Will Kratom go bad if it absorbs a small amount of moisture and the powder makes tiny clumps? It's barely noticeable in some low quality bags that were sealed .

Re: Moisture absorbed into sealed Kratom

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:55 am
by gumbyke1
Kratom can appear to have moisture and "clump" even when it's not moist. This is especially true with very fine grinds and/or if kratom was under a very tight vacuum seal (either in your package or the package it was previously in). Now, if you spilled something and it got into your kratom, I would recommend going ahead and using it ASAP, make a tea, or lay it on a cookie sheet and bake it in low heat to dry it.

I hope that helps!

Re: Moisture absorbed into sealed Kratom

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:44 am
by fusedflora
Short, yes. I agree with Gumbyke1, I'd recommend using quickly. You could also deep freeze until you felt like using, but I've found that this often changes the profile of the leaf.

The water facilitates the growth of many biologicals, as there already an abundance of food in the decaying plant matter. Certainly, higher mitra/7ohm is naturally antimicrobial than lower potency, it's damn near impossible to tell exactly when the biologicals will reproduce to a point where your body can't fight them off without doing testing that would cost more than it'd be worth. Folks eat mold and yeast all the time, they're naturally occurring on many things. It's just when there are too many of the cells that reproduce before your immune system can kill them that's puts people at risk and symptoms show.

Food industry usually accepts 10z5 CFU/g (colony forming units) or lower for mold and yeast, 10z4 CFU/g for coliforms and aerobic plate count of 5x10z5 CFU/g to be considered safe. That's 100,000 or more units in just 1g. Anyways, this is a bit of the longer answer, but explaining helps folks understand the what is happening.

Re: Moisture absorbed into sealed Kratom

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:31 am
by mivanqua
fusedflora wrote:Short, yes. I agree with Gumbyke1, I'd recommend using quickly. You could also deep freeze until you felt like using, but I've found that this often changes the profile of the leaf.

The water facilitates the growth of many biologicals, as there already an abundance of food in the decaying plant matter. Certainly, higher mitra/7ohm is naturally antimicrobial than lower potency, it's damn near impossible to tell exactly when the biologicals will reproduce to a point where your body can't fight them off without doing testing that would cost more than it'd be worth. Folks eat mold and yeast all the time, they're naturally occurring on many things. It's just when there are too many of the cells that reproduce before your immune system can kill them that's puts people at risk and symptoms show.

Food industry usually accepts 10z5 CFU/g (colony forming units) or lower for mold and yeast, 10z4 CFU/g for coliforms and aerobic plate count of 5x10z5 CFU/g to be considered safe. That's 100,000 or more units in just 1g. Anyways, this is a bit of the longer answer, but explaining helps folks understand the what is happening.
So what you're saying is that shit leaf is more susceptible to microbes than good leaf? That's what I love about you guys and.this forum. I learn something new about kratom almost every day! Super interesting to know.

Re: Moisture absorbed into sealed Kratom

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:57 am
by FartBlaster
Thanks for the info I don't think there's anything wrong with it a couple bags just had small clumps

Re: Moisture absorbed into sealed Kratom

Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:49 pm
by herbalhippie
Put a few moisture-absorbing packets in it if you're worried about it. I've got a lot of Kratom that has little clumps in it I think it's just the fine grind that tends to clump up a little bit.

Re: Moisture absorbed into sealed Kratom

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:43 am
by Transformato
The simple answer is... Clumpy is normal if that's all you mean by "moisture".
Probably a non-problem.

I used to think it meant it was fresh and a lot of good fresh leaf is clumpy.
My best kratom is clumpy too, with a few exceptions.

My cacao powder that i put in my tea and coffee is clumpy in exactly the same way. Turmeric cacao (turmeric mocha's!- yea) clumps too but usually in smaller balls bc I just mixed them together.

You got good advice already but since I'm here... Put your bags in freezer bags or tupper-ware like containers. Drop a desiccant pack or two from supplement or Rx drug bottles in the bag or order a bunch of them from Amazon.

If you blend a lot like I do- put smaller amounts in small containers that are easy to organize (be sure to organize) and mark them (don't forget that part- I have a few unknowns thinking I'd remember). This way, you are not frequently accessing the same container all the time, thus exposing to fresh air less frequently. Keep those larger containers in a dry dark place.

That was supposed to be a simple answer but we get carried away.

Re: Moisture absorbed into sealed Kratom

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:09 am
by Greyfeather
Thanks for hat comment, Transformato (copy/paste isn't working :x )

I learned the hard way to make sure that spoon/scooper is ALWAYS DRY. I ruined a few 28oz bags by not doing so and ended up with what I presume was some mold and ate it :(

Now I always open the large bag and pour a smaller amount into small bags (and, yes, label all that stuff).

And I don't mean to unnecessarily worry folks. My immune system is compromised; otherwise, that tiny bit of mold (if that was the problem) would probably not have affected me.