Page 1 of 1
Dinner table discussion
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:46 am
by Kucumber
Hey MM, first topic post here. I actually had the thought while browsing through reviews. I want to say thanks brave777 but I can’t be sure who said it and I’m too tired to go back searching again. Anyways...
Who here have significant others and do they know about your Kratom use? How did you explain it? What about Kratom did you tell them? How were the responses?
My SO knows and really doesn’t care. I use kratom, she’s into CBD. I’m curious to hear others stories, insights or perspectives though.
Thanks!
Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:06 am
by brave777
Well i am into herbs long before i found out about kratom. And everyone close to me know about it very well. I never took pills from pharma or street drugs. So for me was easy to talk about it. Everyone thought around me its another miracle herb i found.

At first when i told my dad about it he was skeptical about it for 3+ years, i just said its your choice and you dont have to be in pain. One time my dad pulled his leg and back so badly that he didnt care what he took as long as pain was gone, i gave him some top notch 2g red, and he became a believer ever since. Just cause someone dont want to try it even if you tell them plenty info on it, dont let them try it. It would be harder for someone who used to be on drugs from street of pharma to explain what kratom is but if they can see big changes in you, tell them its all thanks to kratom that big pharma trying to ban. Just making them aware of it is enough. When time comes, its ether pills or something more natural. I am sure most would pick something more natural. Everyone knows, i am sharp like a dog with plenty of energy, if kratom was that bad i would be homeless laying by the dumpster somewhere and my face would look like a crack head. I am just saying its always best to be open with your other but just in case if you didnt and you need to do tolerance break for a week or something, you can always say you caught the flu. Half the job coughing and walking around with stuffed noses. Might as well blend in.
Any way, just trying to figure out what are you thanking me for? Maybe it was someone else?
Welcome to the forum!
Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:18 am
by Cgroom14
I was timid at first to talk about Kratom since it has such a cloudy name due to media and stuff. I would try to hide it and take it out of sight. I soon came to realize I had no reason to hide this amazing, beneficial and harmless plant. I now prepare my toss n’ wash dose while everyone makes there coffee on vacations and when visiting my family. No one cares and they have actually all tried it now! We tend to treat it like it’s illegal or like we are doing something wrong, and we definitely are not! It is equivalent to your spouse or family member fixing their morning cup of Joe. Don’t be ashamed and enjoy the freedom in not having to hide anything! Also, refer the to them to the American Kratom Associations “Follow the science” tab. Here is the link
https://www.americankratom.org/science
This has all the resources someone needs to truly understand Kratom!
Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:00 am
by MetalMamaRocks
My husband and sons know I use kratom, but I haven't told anyone else in my family. When I was in my late teens (many, many, many) years ago I went through a period of heavy drug use and was arrested a few times. If anyone knew I was using kratom they would think I had relapsed and wouldn't understand. Even if I tried to explain the science to them, they would still worry.
Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:45 pm
by ArchaicNeologism
Former heroin addict. I was five years "twelve-step clean" before I started drinking again. Two years into drinking, I started taking Kratom. My whole family knows I drink, but I can't tell them about the Kratom. I have the drinking under control, and I think my family believes that, but they would worry so much if they knew about the Kratom (even though that has also been under control for two years and I haven't done anything "harder").
My wife is the only person who knows about the Kratom. She was very nervous when I started taking it a lot, but after two years of it not progressing into anything harder and me seeming more productive and happier generally speaking (and being able to take breaks), she's no longer concerned about it.
Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:03 pm
by BallzDeep9
Kucumber wrote:Who here have significant others and do they know about your Kratom use? How did you explain it? What about Kratom did you tell them? How were the responses?
Welcome Kucumber, great holiday topic! Nice to have 1st post not be advertisement for a vendor lol
Answers to these questions, gonna be different for everyone right? People and relationships.. unfortunately, many American families are dysfunctional.. Lots of movies made about that.
I mean, Peace Love & understanding.. should be normal? Over the holidays? Truth! Sharing with your family.. Help where needed. Listening with open ears and open minds... Gathering together, to celebrate the holidays... and SHARE. Good food, music, and stories of our lives. How's it going? What's happening in your life?
We've got Love and support, within our circle.. Significant others. Brothers and Sisters. Most have at least tried kratom.. A few like me, are daily.. A few others enjoy on weekends. Others have reasons for not doing kratom, but are in the loop about it. BUT, outside the circle.. Mother in Law?
Hide the kratom!!
Sad that our politics are so divided. Sad, for some.. A religion seems to mean, being judgemental.

Attitudes?

Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:40 pm
by Dale_Tisane
haha I'm with Ballz on this one. Mother in law? Hide the kratom!
I really don't want the stigma to increase in the US but that seems to be the case. I think the least we could do is spread our knowledge/experiences with our S.O. and close friends. I once gave a sample to a friend of mine and he refused to try it. He said, "we don't know enough about it yet". This is the same person who has tried various research chemicals and gets prescriptions for depression. A couple I've known for years thinks it will kill you. My friend from Hawaii loves cannabis, kava and drinking occasionally and refers to kratom as "heavier stuff". I think our transparency will combat the ignorance.
Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:49 pm
by heme2016
My wife has watched me struggle with pain from rheumatoid arthritis for 12 years now. Anything that helps with that, and lets me keep working, she is onboard with.
Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:28 pm
by brave777
One thing for sure, this year i found a lot of great vendors... That's all the presents i need..

Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:23 am
by Kucumber
Cgroom14 wrote:Also, refer the to them to the American Kratom Associations “Follow the science” tab. Here is the link
https://www.americankratom.org/science
This has all the resources someone needs to truly understand Kratom!
I think my father instilling in me at a young age to “follow the money” also meant in some ways to trust in the science. I feel like as with cannabis when I hear only negative in the limelight and support is being garnered through resources of those at risk by the industry, I tend to push back and dig deeper. Maybe it’s a confirmation bias, who knows, but I would agree.
Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:26 am
by Kucumber
MetalMamaRocks wrote:My husband and sons know I use kratom, but I haven't told anyone else in my family. When I was in my late teens (many, many, many) years ago I went through a period of heavy drug use and was arrested a few times. If anyone knew I was using kratom they would think I had relapsed and wouldn't understand. Even if I tried to explain the science to them, they would still worry.
I get this, it’s very difficult to see past the old adage “people don’t/can’t change” when it comes to something like that. I have a tendency to believe I have an “addictive personality”, but I also have far more weight on the end of the scale for determination and perseverance with examples similar to this. Thanks for sharing!
Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:33 am
by Kucumber
BallzDeep9 wrote:Kucumber wrote:Who here have significant others and do they know about your Kratom use? How did you explain it? What about Kratom did you tell them? How were the responses?
Welcome Kucumber, great holiday topic! Nice to have 1st post not be advertisement for a vendor lol
Answers to these questions, gonna be different for everyone right? People and relationships.. unfortunately, many American families are dysfunctional.. Lots of movies made about that.
I mean, Peace Love & understanding.. should be normal? Over the holidays? Truth! Sharing with your family.. Help where needed. Listening with open ears and open minds... Gathering together, to celebrate the holidays... and SHARE. Good food, music, and stories of our lives. How's it going? What's happening in your life?
We've got Love and support, within our circle.. Significant others. Brothers and Sisters. Most have at least tried kratom.. A few like me, are daily.. A few others enjoy on weekends. Others have reasons for not doing kratom, but are in the loop about it. BUT, outside the circle.. Mother in Law?
Hide the kratom!!
Sad that our politics are so divided. Sad, for some.. A religion seems to mean, being judgemental.

Attitudes?

If I didn’t know any better, I would assume you weren’t American? I feel like it’s still an uncommon thing for Americans to accept our dysfunction
I recently dealt with the (likely soon to be) MIL conundrum. Meeting the family for the first time and I’m a daily user. I have a pretty good process for use where it’s real unassuming, but I found myself wondering what if I just acted like I was having tea and explained it further... who knows, a journey for another time.
On the topic of reviews/vendors- I will admit the thought crossed my mind. But even after years of use I feel like I haven’t truly found a standardized communication method for that. I feel like everyone experiences and describes in slightly different ways, some more common than others. But I don’t want my input to be cast aside as an outlier or anomaly for fear of others relating and feeling they too experience something abnormal.
Anyways, appreciate the welcome and insights.
Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:36 am
by Kucumber
heme2016 wrote:My wife has watched me struggle with pain from rheumatoid arthritis for 12 years now. Anything that helps with that, and lets me keep working, she is onboard with.
The kind of support people dream of, sad to think so many don’t enjoy such liberty in their lives/relationships. Thank you for sharing.
Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:43 am
by Kucumber
Dale_Tisane wrote:haha I'm with Ballz on this one. Mother in law? Hide the kratom!
I really don't want the stigma to increase in the US but that seems to be the case. I think the least we could do is spread our knowledge/experiences with our S.O. and close friends. I once gave a sample to a friend of mine and he refused to try it. He said, "we don't know enough about it yet". This is the same person who has tried various research chemicals and gets prescriptions for depression. A couple I've known for years thinks it will kill you. My friend from Hawaii loves cannabis, kava and drinking occasionally and refers to kratom as "heavier stuff". I think our transparency will combat the ignorance.
I have to say I agree with your friend. But as generations before us...er...I guess I can only say me...did, someone has to be the guinea pig (no offense to guinea pigs). I do take some solace in believing that I’m just a modern guinea pig in a long line of others that spans centuries? I assume if it was cyanide we’d have determined that much by now. Either way I go back to the science, and while we may only provide anecdotal evidence individually, that seems to have worked out pretty well for religion. And they’ve had a really good run regardless of good or bad.
Re: Dinner table discussion
Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:02 am
by acejestyr15
Anyone and everyone I know or see even semi regularly knows about my Kratom usage and has probably straight up seen me dose; from my workplace owners and co workers off current job and previous one, family including my single mom and my in laws, all my friends, and most certainly my bride to be!!! Everyone is very accepting and understanding and honestly my MIL is one of my biggest supporters

She as well as many others have witnessed my struggles with pain, mind boggling insomnia, mood imbalances, social anxiety, and other issues especially over the last 10 years and have always not witnessed the changes since discovering this amazing plant.
Soooo.... I fully support the being open and honest approach to our lifestyles yet at the same time I can also understand why it's not always just that easy for everyone!!! Hope everyone has safe, happy, and healthy holidays, and I look forward to hearing of everyone's adventures... After all this is like another family to me here at doubleM!!!
Happy Holidays everyone, and Blessed Be!!!
