Gold vs Yellow strain explanation?

Discuss kratom, vendors, strains, side effects, or any aspect of usage without censorship. Have a question about kratom? Ask it here and it get it answered by our friendly userbase.
Post Reply
User avatar
Slippy
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:33 pm

Gold vs Yellow strain explanation?

Post by Slippy »

I'm venturing into the world of gold and yellow strains and I'm curious on what are the major differences of the two, if one is faster than the other, and what the gold / yellow strains work best for (energy, anxiety, sleep, etc).
Thanks in advance!
Fishaddict420
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:20 am

Re: Gold vs Yellow strain explanation?

Post by Fishaddict420 »

I’ll be following this thread, I just tried my first yellow, lucky herbals yellow maeng da, and it is my favorite strain I have ever tried, previously whites were my favorite.
User avatar
Slippy
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:33 pm

Re: Gold vs Yellow strain explanation?

Post by Slippy »

Fishaddict420 wrote:I’ll be following this thread, I just tried my first yellow, lucky herbals yellow maeng da, and it is my favorite strain I have ever tried, previously whites were my favorite.
Lucky Herbals is great. I just ordered some yellow and gold from Mitra Man. Usually greens are my favorite but lately people have been raving about gold and yellows.
I know that yellow and gold aren't a type of vein it's manly the drying process but I'm curious which veins yellows and golds are actually before the drying process.
CatfatherB
Kratom Guru (Rank 9)
Kratom Guru (Rank 9)
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Gold vs Yellow strain explanation?

Post by CatfatherB »

Slippy wrote:
Fishaddict420 wrote:I’ll be following this thread, I just tried my first yellow, lucky herbals yellow maeng da, and it is my favorite strain I have ever tried, previously whites were my favorite.
Lucky Herbals is great. I just ordered some yellow and gold from Mitra Man. Usually greens are my favorite but lately people have been raving about gold and yellows.
I know that yellow and gold aren't a type of vein it's manly the drying process but I'm curious which veins yellows and golds are actually before the drying process.

Before the drying process, most mature kratom leaves used are red vein, even if they are used to make green or white...or red.

Yellows and gold's are either blends or turn the color due to the drying process...depends on whom is supplying them. Regardless of the name of said color, all batches will vary from fast to slow and what one user may find slow effects another may find stimulating. The best thing I can tell you is to buy small and find the batches that you respond to the best and look for reviews of similar batches...still YMMV. :D
User avatar
BallzDeep9
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:33 am
Contact:

Re: Gold vs Yellow strain explanation?

Post by BallzDeep9 »

Since we know 'strains and veins' mean nothing .. the only way to generalize is by color. Golds and yellows, obviously are blends that contain some oxidized leaf - either Sun dried, or fermented/ Bent. We expect that oxidized leaf, gives a more sedative or sleepy effect.. Golds and yellows, being blends of Indoor 'green' and Sun dried 'reds'.. Are not fast, certainly, and leaning more to the slow side...

The big question: Quality or potency, of the various leaf used to blend a batch... I've still got some of Herbal RVA's Gold Bali from summer 2018 - color is definitely dark, gold-ish. More brown than green. Sure enough it's very sedating! And, that particular batch 06-18 was really strong!! Othere batches of RVA Gold Bali were only.. meh

Always think, batches and colors... Not strains and veins lol :ugeek:
Banned on Reddit: KratomVendors is now on SAIDIT!
Please check out my current Auctions/ Sales on MM Trading Post! I'm also on MeWe/ Saidit/ Reddit. Thanks!
User avatar
Slippy
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:33 pm

Re: Gold vs Yellow strain explanation?

Post by Slippy »

CatfatherB wrote:
Slippy wrote:
Fishaddict420 wrote:I’ll be following this thread, I just tried my first yellow, lucky herbals yellow maeng da, and it is my favorite strain I have ever tried, previously whites were my favorite.
Lucky Herbals is great. I just ordered some yellow and gold from Mitra Man. Usually greens are my favorite but lately people have been raving about gold and yellows.
I know that yellow and gold aren't a type of vein it's manly the drying process but I'm curious which veins yellows and golds are actually before the drying process.

Before the drying process, most mature kratom leaves used are red vein, even if they are used to make green or white...or red.

Yellows and gold's are either blends or turn the color due to the drying process...depends on whom is supplying them. Regardless of the name of said color, all batches will vary from fast to slow and what one user may find slow effects another may find stimulating. The best thing I can tell you is to buy small and find the batches that you respond to the best and look for reviews of similar batches...still YMMV. :D
Thanks.
In your experience, did you happen to notice a major difference between golds and yellows?
Overall how was the mood lift, sedation and energy for gold, and vice versa for yellows?

I see gold and yellows being lumped together a lot as one type. I see gold/yellow as one strain on many vendors sites, so I'm not quite sure if they are basically similar or actually have totally different properties.
User avatar
Slippy
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:33 pm

Re: Gold vs Yellow strain explanation?

Post by Slippy »

BallzDeep9 wrote:Since we know 'strains and veins' mean nothing .. the only way to generalize is by color. Golds and yellows, obviously are blends that contain some oxidized leaf - either Sun dried, or fermented/ Bent. We expect that oxidized leaf, gives a more sedative or sleepy effect.. Golds and yellows, being blends of Indoor 'green' and Sun dried 'reds'.. Are not fast, certainly, and leaning more to the slow side...

The big question: Quality or potency, of the various leaf used to blend a batch... I've still got some of Herbal RVA's Gold Bali from summer 2018 - color is definitely dark, gold-ish. More brown than green. Sure enough it's very sedating! And, that particular batch 06-18 was really strong!! Othere batches of RVA Gold Bali were only.. meh

Always think, batches and colors... Not strains and veins lol :ugeek:
I will take that advice! Thanks ballz.
davidisgoliath
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:44 pm

Re: Gold vs Yellow strain explanation?

Post by davidisgoliath »

I love yellows and gold's. I concur that Lucky Herbals' Yellow Maeng Da is awesome. I have tried Bennis' Yellow Borneo and Enhanciosa's Yellow Banjar which was very good. The last 2 were actually green colored. I recently ordered 7 Ohms Gold Bali from his suggestion which was a dark brown color with no taste. I thought it would be bad but it was really nice. I usually mix with greens for a good balance because they seem fast sometimes. I have heard to some they are slow.
User avatar
gumbyke1
Verified Vendor
Verified Vendor
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Gold vs Yellow strain explanation?

Post by gumbyke1 »

BallzDeep9 wrote:Since we know 'strains and veins' mean nothing .. the only way to generalize is by color. Golds and yellows, obviously are blends that contain some oxidized leaf - either Sun dried, or fermented/ Bent. We expect that oxidized leaf, gives a more sedative or sleepy effect.. Golds and yellows, being blends of Indoor 'green' and Sun dried 'reds'.. Are not fast, certainly, and leaning more to the slow side...

The big question: Quality or potency, of the various leaf used to blend a batch... I've still got some of Herbal RVA's Gold Bali from summer 2018 - color is definitely dark, gold-ish. More brown than green. Sure enough it's very sedating! And, that particular batch 06-18 was really strong!! Othere batches of RVA Gold Bali were only.. meh

Always think, batches and colors... Not strains and veins lol :ugeek:
Pretty much nailed it. However it should be noted that there is really no industry-standard with anything, so one person yellow is another person green, red, purple, etc.. Generally though, what Ballz said is most common.
Texas Family Harvest - for connoisseurs, by connoisseurs.
User avatar
AppalachianHerbs
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:42 pm

Re: Gold vs Yellow strain explanation?

Post by AppalachianHerbs »

IME it varies from farmer to farmer / supplier to supplier what a yellow vs a gold is.

One of my suppliers just uses gold a term for a good blend.

But the supplier I communicate with most says that a fermented white makes a yellow, and that he makes golds using a slightly different process much closer to the "fermentation"(really oxidation) that black tea undergoes. It's also why some golds have that characteristic color and texture(if you get crushed gold not powdered)

Of course that is just how one supplier categorizes it. There is no standardization in this industry really so if you go to a different vendor / supplier / farmer you might get very different answers!
Seacookie
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:38 pm
Location: Pensacola, Florida

Re: Gold vs Yellow strain explanation?

Post by Seacookie »

I've come to find for me personally yellows & gold provide the best pain relief with a great euphoric mood boost. TFH's 24 karat bali is hands down my absolute favorite for pain relief mixed with energy. I rotate between 20 different strains from multiple vendors, and thos one I will take multiple days in a row and still have great effects. Just recieved some yellow MD and Gold Boreno from MitraMan and both provide good energy with pain relief. I've also had Gold Bali from Smiley which worked wonders as well. So golds for me are a win win win!
Post Reply