Understanding Finer Grinds for Tea

Discuss kratom, vendors, strains, side effects, or any aspect of usage without censorship. Have a question about kratom? Ask it here and it get it answered by our friendly userbase.
Post Reply
fusedflora
Verified Vendor
Verified Vendor
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:46 pm
Contact:

Understanding Finer Grinds for Tea

Post by fusedflora »

So Ace got me into this aeropress and I wanted to take a minute to talk about grinds and efficiencies with it. I see a lot of doubt on size of grinds and want to put some science to it so folks can understand. The other thing I see is folks saying you can't use powder for tea, or that crushed leaf is best. Though I can't argue that crushed leaf is easier cleanup, it takes far more time to be efficient. The aeropress easily makes powders into tea about as fast as toss and wash, efficiently, and solves a lot of the straining problem. I'll explain below

I'll speak towards teas and teas only, as grinds affect extraction the most; toss and wash effects are entirely different than tea with the plant matter. Different grinds and many other variables (body pH, stomach contents, metabolism, potentiators, etc.) play a role in toss and wash. The body has a much more complex extraction process; I'm not speaking to this. The goal is to help someone determine what grind is best for them in making tea for the best extraction possible based on the grind, especially if using an aeropress.

But first, we need to walk through some context. I'm making some assumptions that the tea is just below a boil (at a simmer) at 170-180 degrees. The temperature of 170-180 is used to break down a lot of the plant matter without allowing the heavier alkaloids to evaporate with the vapor in a violent boil. I'm assuming this analysis is for same weight for fine, coarse, and crushed leaf (they're all sold similar price for weight).

Extraction depends completely on two things, time and surface area.

Time - Though kratom is not as water soluble as most things, the longer it is in water, the more alkaloids are extracted. The temperature helps release these from the plant matter, but it needs time as well. Obviously, there's a point at which more time equals less benefit, but the idea is to ensure the powder is exposed for as long as possible (usually what you feel comfortable waiting on).

Surface area - increasing surface area also makes it easier to absorb alkaloids. When one has a finer grind, you are increasing the surface area exponentially. Don't believe me? Just look at espresso vs drip coffee, I'll continue this analogy later.

For example, when eating a watermelon, one cuts it in half, halves that, halves that again, each time increasing the surface area that you can take a bite out of. Math is hard in public, so I'll use a Japanese square watermelon. A 10in square water melon has a surface area of 600in2 (10inx10in on 6 sides). Cutting it in half once, cutting it again (leaving quarters), and third time (eighths) leaves you with (8)5in cubes, each having a surface area of 150in2 (5inx5in on 6 sides) for a total surface area of 1200in2. Just reducing a particle to an 1/8th of its size doubles the surface area. A way to compare is table salt is usually about 100 micrometers, where talc powder is 10 micrometer (a tenth and even more surface area than comparison above).

Grind size doesn't affect what is being extracted, it changes how fast the extraction occurs. Think of a coffee bean, we don't use them unground, a coffee brew would take a very long time; we grind them to make the extraction faster. We grind them further to make espresso (even faster than drip).

A finer grind will allow faster absorption. A coarser grind will allow slower absorption. When you want to increase extraction, you need to grind finer. You need to increase the surface area to "show" the water more of the alkaloids. With surface area, extraction will increase because the water can ‘see’ more of the alkaloids and get to work absorbing them. It's not so dissimilar absorption from the body, but I'll hopefully get to that one in a later post.

With coarse grinds, it's harder for the water to work itself inside to reach all the parts to dissolve the alkaloids. The heat will break down some of the plant matter, but not to the extent of grinding finely, and it will be exponentially faster with finer grinds (as the water can now "reach" more parts to break down).

It's science, we do this for other tea, matcha, coffee, sugar.... etc... Finer sugar absorbs faster into water, coarse is slower.

So on to the fun part. What does this mean for the aeropress? If using the aeropress with powder on the filter and not simmering powder in the water before, one would need to use finer grinds to extract quicker as the hot water only has a few seconds to be pushed out the other side. This is enough to extract. If finer grinds are unavailable, one needs more time (brewing tea longer on the stove first).

What does this mean for tea? If you're pressed for time, finer grinds are superior in extraction over short duration to the coarse grinds in the tea pot. If you don't mind the 30-40 min wait for a regular tea routine, by all means coarse is for you.

Other observations for teas: Crushed leaf is way easier to strain than powder, but has far less surface area, you need to brew for a long, long time to get the most bang for your buck. If you can strain a powder, I'd recommend doing so.

With the same weighed amount of each, over a shorter time, you'd end up with more alkaloids in a cup of tea with finer grind due to extraction (with the same variables of heat and process)

Short, I love my aeropress and it works well with the finest grinds I can find and quickly, but not much else (otherwise it's a fancy strainer). For those that haven't seen the watermelons:

Image
Last edited by fusedflora on Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
IndelibleDotInk
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Posts: 3358
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:21 pm
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Re: Understanding Finer Grinds for Tea

Post by IndelibleDotInk »

fusedflora
Verified Vendor
Verified Vendor
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Understanding Finer Grinds for Tea

Post by fusedflora »

IndelibleDotInk wrote:progression: pressure!

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1470&p=10550&hilit=instapot#p10550
Interesting concept. The thermo expansion of the water earlier would certainly break the cells faster and more efficiently. Though I'm uncertain as to how the increased pressure would affect the alkaloids.

This leads to one dirty pressure cooker/insta pot though, the aeropress is a cinch under a faucet :D :lol:
GrannyJ62
Exalted Kratomite (Rank 7)
Exalted Kratomite (Rank 7)
Posts: 851
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Re: Understanding Finer Grinds for Tea

Post by GrannyJ62 »

Wow I get it Thank You great explanation And I've never seen square watermelon SWEET
Slayro
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:14 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Understanding Finer Grinds for Tea

Post by Slayro »

Very well put! Increasing surface area most definitely decreases extraction time, as with other botanicals.

I also love my aeropress. I prepare my tea by steeping powder in water around the temps that you mentioned, for approximately 30-45 minutes, before pouring through my aero press, and, filtering. I find it to be the most efficient way, even with a finer grind. I do find that finer ground powder can be a little tricky to press, but, it is doable if you press slow/gentle enough.

This post was very informative! Thanks for sharing!
User avatar
gumbyke1
Verified Vendor
Verified Vendor
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Understanding Finer Grinds for Tea

Post by gumbyke1 »

I just briefly caught this post as I was getting ready to log off. I am going to have to sit down later and give this a good read.... great post! :D
Texas Family Harvest - for connoisseurs, by connoisseurs.
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Understanding Finer Grinds for Tea

Post by beathappening »

Good stuff we need way more many posts like this. Definitely adds to the content total of the site and therefore the overall quality.

Are there any pictures of kratom in the grinding process? Like any sort of pics with the kratom being ground, milled, separated for manufacturement, the different sizes and types of grinds and Mills and so on and so forth. Surely these things must exist and I would love to see a pictures of them whether it be stationary or at work. I would love to see an episode of Dirty Jobs within a kratom plantation manufacturing facility or really any part of the process. you just know that they would give Mike and crew samples and they'd be creative low-key converts for life even though he's a staunch Republican conservative. At the same time I can see Discovery channel not wanting to hear something so political these days at the same time think about what something like that could do for the process of legalization in the United States.

But that's beyond the point I'd love to see some sort of indoor tour of a kratom process. I'd be the guy who thinks he knows everything and they would have to correct me on all the things I have wrong. :P
fusedflora
Verified Vendor
Verified Vendor
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Understanding Finer Grinds for Tea

Post by fusedflora »

beathappening wrote:Good stuff we need way more many posts like this. Definitely adds to the content total of the site and therefore the overall quality.

Are there any pictures of kratom in the grinding process? Like any sort of pics with the kratom being ground, milled, separated for manufacturement, the different sizes and types of grinds and Mills and so on and so forth. Surely these things must exist and I would love to see a pictures of them whether it be stationary or at work. I would love to see an episode of Dirty Jobs within a kratom plantation manufacturing facility or really any part of the process. you just know that they would give Mike and crew samples and they'd be creative low-key converts for life even though he's a staunch Republican conservative. At the same time I can see Discovery channel not wanting to hear something so political these days at the same time think about what something like that could do for the process of legalization in the United States.

But that's beyond the point I'd love to see some sort of indoor tour of a kratom process. I'd be the guy who thinks he knows everything and they would have to correct me on all the things I have wrong. :P
I have a lot of these pics and videos, it'll take some time to put together, but I'll work it.

I may build something to show how we process our products in the mean time.
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Understanding Finer Grinds for Tea

Post by beathappening »

Get me a Rhombicosidodecahedron watermelon,.then we'll talk.
User avatar
BallzDeep9
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:33 am
Contact:

Re: Understanding Finer Grinds for Tea

Post by BallzDeep9 »

fusedflora wrote:So Ace got me into this aeropress ....

Crushed Leaf is way easier to strain than powder, but has far less surface area, you need to brew for a long, long time, to get the most bang for your buck. If you can strain a powder, I'd recommend doing so.
Ahh another Aeropress devotee! Yes I have joined that club too... great post Flora! :geek:

My Tea brewing process is now, to maximize the time factor! Goes with everything you're saying here.. check this out. I weigh out, a blend of Crushed Leaf and powder. (Of course we all have, lots more powder selection to choose from.) I brew my Red Bubble Tea in 3 steps:
  • 1- Prep with hot water, Citric acid, and then Overnight Freeze 4 or 5+ servings... get that Red Bubble!
  • 2- Add more water, lemonade, and.. fruit. Yes, kind of like Sangria I cut-up a half Lime and some Orange peel. Refrigerate 8+ hours!
  • 3- Cook for 40+ min. at nice Simmer around 190 degrees or less. Much of water volume is reduced here...
Final Steps! Strain out fruit chunks. Filter with Aeropress / then add sugar to taste. Add a little baking soda to offset high acid pH, for storage @ several days' servings as Cold Brew Tea in the fridge... so pretty much as you say. More Time = more alkaloids and I guess you could call this a 24-Hour batch recipe.. I'm working on a new Blog page with lots of photos! 8-)

Image
Banned on Reddit: KratomVendors is now on SAIDIT!
Please check out my current Auctions/ Sales on MM Trading Post! I'm also on MeWe/ Saidit/ Reddit. Thanks!
Post Reply