Page 1 of 1

Serving Size/LTD Guidance

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:30 pm
by mistertater
Ive been taking Kratom for about a year on and off - I started back up in late February to help with pain from a running injury but had used it in the past to help with anxiety. I previously had bought pre-filled capsules and took 3.5-4.7g per serving (depending on strain), but since I never weighed the pre-filled capsules I don't really know if they contained the amount that they said they did. My previous supplier was very inconsistent - two different packages of the same strain would often be very different in color, and a strain would work wonders one batch, then the next time the same strain wouldn't work at all. I take two servings per day - morning and afternoon, with a very occasional third serving in the evening. I have always tried to keep my serving size as low as possible. Until receiving my TFH order and seeing the recommended "maximum daily dose" of 4g, I was never really too worried about it. But now my anxiety about daily servings is kicking in so its time to experiment.

After doing some reading around the forum I decided to try and find my lowest threshold dose. I like the idea of determining LTD by starting at 1.5g and adding on .5g each serving. I chose 30 Year Wild TFH as my first sample since it seems to have consistent, positive reviews. I am using a digital scale to measure, pouring boiling water in a thermos with the kratom and letting it steep for 3 minutes, filtering through a mesh semi-fine tea strainer, and drinking on an empty stomach with at least 4 hours between doses.

At around 1.5g I can feel the effects but it is kind of like elevator music - if I pay really close attention I can tell something is there, but it wasn't necessarily pleasant. Effects lasted about 20-30 minutes and quickly turned into a headache and the feeling of stress/anxiety (tense muscles, irritability, etc). 2.5g was very similar but the effects last about an hour rather than 20-30 minutes. At 3.5g I am getting a feeling I am more used to, albeit a little more muted than my standard serving size. The headaches and stress feelings are gone at 3.5g and the effects last about 2 hours.

But the next question is what does LTD feels like? Is my LTD 2g since I just barely start to notice it here, even though there are more negative effects than positive? Or is it 3.5g because this is where i don't have any of the negative effects? After finding LTD, I saw that some like to add about 50% to determine their serving size - is this pretty typical method for most people? Should I just keep increasing by .5 from 3.5g until I find the sweet spot and determine my best serving size? I know serving size will vary by strain and batch, but should I be worried that I am exceeding the TFH maximum daily amount in one serving? A lot of questions, I know. I appreciate any of your answers!

Re: Serving Size/LTD Guidance

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:04 pm
by Marcussk
Well first thing I will tell you is that every batch of a strain is going to be different, and there can be several strains per batch. Its important to rotate by the batch rather than by the strain to keep tolerance low. Once you find your sweet spot, which is probably around 4-5 grams it sounds like, then I would try new leaf at that dose and record how it feels. Maybe you need less for that strain or maybe a little more. Personally if a strain isnt working at your sweet spot dose I wouldn't go more than a gram higher on your dose, if it isnt working after a few trys then set it aside and come back to it later. Kratom is a weird plant, some batches work for some people and not others, and sometimes a batch wont do anything for you and a month later its suddenly your favorite and vice versa. It's a good thing to buy from several vendors and get several batches from each so you can have a decent variety to rotate through.

Re: Serving Size/LTD Guidance

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:07 pm
by BallzDeep9
mistertater wrote: I am using a digital scale to measure, pouring boiling water in a thermos with the kratom and letting it steep for 3 minutes, filtering through a mesh semi-fine tea strainer, and drinking on an empty stomach with at least 4 hours between doses.
Good News is you stick to your LTD or maybe 50% more, you will NOT build much Tolerance or at least not for awhile.. You can find your best serving sweet spot, and really enjoy kratom daily.. For what it is. Kratom!

Here's a good YouTube video by Urban Ice. Kratom Dosage LINK - Not a fan of his retail marketing, but the dude is a 10 year veteran, got to agree with most of his video.. It's a supplement not a drug. Serving Size. He calls it Lowest Perceivable Amount.. I say LTD.. perceivable ? is a big word lol, anyway, he's right. A Little Ice Cream is good.. Eating a gallon of ice cream is disgusting and will make you sick. Don't chug a whole pot of coffee.. etc :P . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsiEqauyA1M

Just be careful with the Filter - I pretty much stopped using a Filter daily. The idea was, catch any foreign matter.. I posted THIS on Reddit over 2 years ago. There was a freak accident with a broken machine in Indo. A few bits of metal were found in a few RVA bags.. Of course someone spread the rumor on Facebook lol..

Bottom Line I never caught anything much, in over a year of daily filtering.. One time I did get a small hair. :o Couple times, small bits of rice ? During this year I was importing, also buying from > a dozen vendors. Huge variety.. Concluded I was wasting some perfectly good, coarse grain leaf.. using that 120 micron filter. It's still handy as a Tea Infuser around the kitchen.. A 75 micron filter might be better? You're still sanitizing the stuff, anyway.

Sounds like, your on the right track, find your own chemistry with the plant and getting MAX enjoyment! Kratom On! :ugeek:

Re: Serving Size/LTD Guidance

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:48 pm
by mistertater
Marcussk wrote:I would try new leaf at that dose and record how it feels. Maybe you need less for that strain or maybe a little more. Personally if a strain isnt working at your sweet spot dose I wouldn't go more than a gram higher on your dose, if it isnt working after a few trys then set it aside and come back to it later.
I appreciate the advice. I had never thought about different strains coming from the same batch.

I had been using the same vendor for about a year on and off and usually had positive results with the very occasional bunk batch. After reading around these forums I realized that I was paying 3-4x more compared to most of the popular vendors here. I ordered about 9 different strains (from 7 different batches) to figure out what works and what doesnt. The reason I posted was because out of 9 samples, only two had the same result I was used to from my previous vendor. I have been playing with serving size ranging anywhere from 2g to 5g. All the strains are showing signs of working, but they are all very very subtle and only last about an hour. I will keep trying different experiments and see if I can figure out what works!

Re: Serving Size/LTD Guidance

Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:19 pm
by acejestyr15
mistertater wrote:
Marcussk wrote:I would try new leaf at that dose and record how it feels. Maybe you need less for that strain or maybe a little more. Personally if a strain isnt working at your sweet spot dose I wouldn't go more than a gram higher on your dose, if it isnt working after a few trys then set it aside and come back to it later.
I appreciate the advice. I had never thought about different strains coming from the same batch.

I had been using the same vendor for about a year on and off and usually had positive results with the very occasional bunk batch. After reading around these forums I realized that I was paying 3-4x more compared to most of the popular vendors here. I ordered about 9 different strains (from 7 different batches) to figure out what works and what doesnt. The reason I posted was because out of 9 samples, only two had the same result I was used to from my previous vendor. I have been playing with serving size ranging anywhere from 2g to 5g. All the strains are showing signs of working, but they are all very very subtle and only last about an hour. I will keep trying different experiments and see if I can figure out what works!
How many times throughout the day do you usually dose?