Page 1 of 1

New to brewing tea W/crushed leaf!! HeLP

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:15 am
by Luis2387
so i dont have an aeropress..will get one this week but tomorrow inget my order of TFH crushed leaf, i want to switch it up so its not that bad on stomach

Whats a quick way to make quality tea without any fancy enquipment lol...for now

Thanks

Re: New to brewing tea W/crushed leaf!! HeLP

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:32 am
by flybye99928
not an expert but all you need is something to steep it in and something to filter out the plant matter, ive heard ppl talking about using a cotton rag or cutting up a peice of a t shirt, maybe a coffee filter with some stirring would do

Re: New to brewing tea W/crushed leaf!! HeLP

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:52 am
by Luis2387
Using an old sock lol... had to use 2 the 1st one had a hole lmaoo :shock:

Re: New to brewing tea W/crushed leaf!! HeLP

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:11 am
by acejestyr15
Luis2387 wrote:so i dont have an aeropress..will get one this week but tomorrow inget my order of TFH crushed leaf, i want to switch it up so its not that bad on stomach

Whats a quick way to make quality tea without any fancy enquipment lol...for now

Thanks
T shirts work very well for crushed leaf. Also fyi when brewing tea with CL I usually use 150% of my T and W type serving size as opposed to making tea with powder I use anywhere from 115 to 140% of T and W serving size.

Aeropress isn't totally NECESSARY for powder no less certainly not for CL.... I just prefer the method for a few reasons! First, it just makes things much easier and cleaner when filtering, also I feel that the aeropress squeezes every single bit of extracted goodness out, and for me which is a big one it allows you to make multiple individual servings at the same time much easier than filtering with any other method I have ever heard of....

Other than those 3 reasons you can filter with any other method with very similar results, just not quite the same is all IMHO.

Re: New to brewing tea W/crushed leaf!! HeLP

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:36 am
by Luis2387
Thanks ace

Re: New to brewing tea W/crushed leaf!! HeLP

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:31 pm
by mivanqua
Also, remember that its not.like conventional tea. You have to boil it.for at least twenty minutes. You can't just pour hot water over the CL. Well...I mean, you CAN, but you'll get very few of the alkaloids you're after.

Re: New to brewing tea W/crushed leaf!! HeLP

Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:55 pm
by RedRuby
Hmm. I was thinking of putting the leaf in our Ninja coffee/tea maker. The hot water does steep in the basket for a little bit before dropping down to the pot. I wonder if this would work?

Re: New to brewing tea W/crushed leaf!! HeLP

Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:58 pm
by HappyHulu
I can tell you what I do when in a hurry. I bring water to a boil, add the CL, then turn it down so the water becomes like a rolling simmer, just before boiling point. I generally cook it for 45 minutes, uncovered. About half of the water will evaporate, so keep that in mind. You could cook for 30, I think you would be fine. When done, let the leaf settle to bottom and just pour slowly into your cup. The leaves will stay in the pot.

I don’t add citric acid when I’m cooking CL. I only add it when steeping powder. Keep in mind this works for me. Unless you boil it to death for a long period of time, there really isn’t a wrong way to do it. Just experiment and find what works for you. Good luck!