Page 1 of 1

whats with the phenomena of a strain not working anymore?

Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:40 pm
by Mean Malay
is there anything else to it besides tolerance? I've had a big 500g bag of mitra's red MD that worked awesomely forever, until it didn't. i stupidly left the bag open for days in a ziplock bag but didn't think it'd degrade by much if anything, but it stopped working either since that, or shortly before that. even when i lowered my tolerance it didn't work. now i'm stuck wondering if my taper didn't go as well as i thought or my storage was too sloppy and it degraded.

Re: whats with the phenomena of a strain not working anymore

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:08 am
by the_spookiest
is this red MD the only strain youve been taking?

Re: whats with the phenomena of a strain not working anymore

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:25 am
by fusedflora
There's a lot of things this could be, but think you might be right in the storage. First, ziplock bag doesn't sound good to me, as they're typically clear, and if left in/near light, especially the sun, this would certainly degrade it. I suspect this is it. Mylar bags are cheap on amazon and protect the powder from most light. Though it may not have been exposed to the sun, different spectrum of lights can still make it oxidize over a period of time.

Depending on how much and how often you used, it could be tolerance. But given your attempted to taper, it would highly depend on the method you used and how you got there. When revisiting the RMD again, you could have been ill, in which case it might not work for a few burns. If you really enjoyed it, set it aside for a month while enjoying some other offerings. If after a month, still nothing, you may have degraded it or your tolerance towards the alkaloids in that specific one may have become too high.

Re: whats with the phenomena of a strain not working anymore

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:20 pm
by BurnBarrel
What is the phenom of no kratom AT ALL working anymore?

Re: whats with the phenomena of a strain not working anymore

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:51 pm
by RumRunner
BurnBarrel wrote:What is the phenom of no kratom AT ALL working anymore?
That's called tolerance problems.

Re: whats with the phenomena of a strain not working anymore

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:24 pm
by PlantBasedRay97
I believe in always rotating strains and trying not to consume Kratom everyday at least one day apart between. Also whenever I fell like I'm not getting results I try switching the intake method (t&w or tea) and adjusting the dosage. Tea and or other extraction depending on which one you choose in my experience take more Kratom unless you plan on consuming the leaf like in Kratom mixed with oj. Overall in my experience Kratom has always worked I've been enjoying it since I was 18 with minimal need for breaks using the tips above.

Re: whats with the phenomena of a strain not working anymore

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:15 pm
by Greyfeather
Leaving a ziplock bag slightly open for a few days is not going to de-grade the kratom. There are countless testimonies that support this. I have done it myself with absolutely ZERO ill effects. I mean, empty the contents on a counter top on a super hot day, or with the sun blasting on it (although you might end up with a reasonable "bent"), or spray some water on it and then .......... maybe. You didn't do anything "bad" to your kratom.
I understand that it can seem to stop working - suddenly - the way it used to.

There are a lot of other conditions: tolerance, the way you are ingesting, HOW you are ingesting, and all of the other stuff going on in your life and the life of your Body. If I have had alcohol (or I suppose any other substance), if I am not getting enough sleep, if I am not eating enough (or eating well), if I have some OTHER CONDITION, the kratom isn't going to work the exact way it did when I decided it was the best kratom ever.

One thing I would advise: If you use a spoon to convey the kratom from the bag to any other place (mouth, cup, pot/pan, etc) do keep it clean and free of moisture. I did spoil some kratom by introducing moisture /mold. It still worked but I ended up with a fairly gross rash that involved itching, seeping and scabs.

Re: whats with the phenomena of a strain not working anymore

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:39 am
by Mean Malay
Greyfeather wrote:Leaving a ziplock bag slightly open for a few days is not going to de-grade the kratom. There are countless testimonies that support this. I have done it myself with absolutely ZERO ill effects. I mean, empty the contents on a counter top on a super hot day, or with the sun blasting on it (although you might end up with a reasonable "bent"), or spray some water on it and then .......... maybe. You didn't do anything "bad" to your kratom.
I understand that it can seem to stop working - suddenly - the way it used to.

There are a lot of other conditions: tolerance, the way you are ingesting, HOW you are ingesting, and all of the other stuff going on in your life and the life of your Body. If I have had alcohol (or I suppose any other substance), if I am not getting enough sleep, if I am not eating enough (or eating well), if I have some OTHER CONDITION, the kratom isn't going to work the exact way it did when I decided it was the best kratom ever.

One thing I would advise: If you use a spoon to convey the kratom from the bag to any other place (mouth, cup, pot/pan, etc) do keep it clean and free of moisture. I did spoil some kratom by introducing moisture /mold. It still worked but I ended up with a fairly gross rash that involved itching, seeping and scabs.
Thanks for the responses guys!

Yes I remember reading a while ago from several people that Kratom was pretty impervious storage wise and didn’t think my method would degrade it at the time. It wasn’t even in the sun. Anyway, I always toss and wash and my tolerance is even lower than before since keeping the stem N vein regimen, so I’ll revisit it very soon and get down to it once and for all

Re: whats with the phenomena of a strain not working anymore

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:56 am
by fusedflora
Greyfeather wrote:Leaving a ziplock bag slightly open for a few days is not going to de-grade the kratom. There are countless testimonies that support this. I have done it myself with absolutely ZERO ill effects. I mean, empty the contents on a counter top on a super hot day, or with the sun blasting on it (although you might end up with a reasonable "bent"), or spray some water on it and then .......... maybe. You didn't do anything "bad" to your kratom.
I understand that it can seem to stop working - suddenly - the way it used to.

There are a lot of other conditions: tolerance, the way you are ingesting, HOW you are ingesting, and all of the other stuff going on in your life and the life of your Body. If I have had alcohol (or I suppose any other substance), if I am not getting enough sleep, if I am not eating enough (or eating well), if I have some OTHER CONDITION, the kratom isn't going to work the exact way it did when I decided it was the best kratom ever.

One thing I would advise: If you use a spoon to convey the kratom from the bag to any other place (mouth, cup, pot/pan, etc) do keep it clean and free of moisture. I did spoil some kratom by introducing moisture /mold. It still worked but I ended up with a fairly gross rash that involved itching, seeping and scabs.
Agree completely, it's usually not the open bag, but typically the clear ones on the seat of a car that is more likely burnt. Though I guess if you had a bunch of humidity where you live or are storing it in a bathroom near a hot shower, that could be problematic with an open bag.

Re: whats with the phenomena of a strain not working anymore

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:18 pm
by Sneakers
I had a bunch of samples that I left in a car that I didn't use for a month. I just got back in that car and noticed that the kratom is probably ruined now... it got a little toasty to say the least lol. Technically they didn't get light but it was probably up to at least 110 in the car. I mean, even if the kratom was still ok, I'd probably be ingesting plastic now as well which I'm not a big fan of.

Re: whats with the phenomena of a strain not working anymore

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:10 am
by nerdy ninja
I’ve experienced this as well and I’m VERY diligent about keeping tolerance down. Never more than 10g daily and always take 1-2 day break very 6 days. Some of my favorite strains have just one day done nothing for me. It’s a mystery to me as well but what I have discovered is that if you take a break from it for a month or two and come back to it works great again. For example had some Smiley PMD that was absolute fire. Then one day it had meh results for me. Put it in the storage bin and came back to it couple months later and was like the first time I had it. But keeping your tolerance in check is absolutely paramount to enjoying kratom. Had I known how much better kratom is with well managed tolerance I would have gone to 10g daily limit years ago