Euphemisms for kratom terms
-
beathappening
- Banned
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm
Euphemisms for kratom terms
It was brought up the other day that certain words associated with kratom can have negative side effects for those who wish to demonize kratom or are otherwise unfamiliar. I was sort of against it at first, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea. Dose was one, euphoria is a big one (mood lift is close but I think euphoria and mood lift are distinct and not quite the same), and one I personally am not sure of is body high. There are times when I feel kratom physically and it's pleasant, but I don't have pain so I can't call it pain relief. But I hate the term body high. Burn is one substitute but to me that sounds just as bad, brings to mind smoking something ("burn one down"). Even kilo or especially "key" sounds bad, think of what other drugs come in kilo amounts. Maybe kilogram sounds better, idk. I'm sure there are plenty of others.
What terms can we use to move kratom away from the usual drug/headshop slang? That's the overall idea right? For it not to be viewed as just another recreation drug, we can't use recreational drug lingo. It seems like a necessity in order for it and the community to eventually be taken seriously by non-users. Or maybe I'm over thinking things. What would Dave Herman do?
What terms can we use to move kratom away from the usual drug/headshop slang? That's the overall idea right? For it not to be viewed as just another recreation drug, we can't use recreational drug lingo. It seems like a necessity in order for it and the community to eventually be taken seriously by non-users. Or maybe I'm over thinking things. What would Dave Herman do?
- e_poison
- Admin

- Posts: 2154
- Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:18 pm
- Contact:
Re: Euphemisms for kratom terms
I always thought "burn" sounded bad and drug-like, but it's a commonly accepted term at this point. Also, it sometimes tends to confuse people new to kratom who think you're supposed to smoke it. I think it stems from the fact some people used to pass kratom off as candles or incense.
Instead of dose, I believe Ballz suggested "serving size".
I don't think Kilo is too bad, it's just a unit of weight, although I see the implications. I believe you're correct in saying the full word - kilogram - would sound way better.
I think euphoria is pretty benign overall. Should probably stray away from words like "high", "buzz", and related terms though.
Instead of dose, I believe Ballz suggested "serving size".
I don't think Kilo is too bad, it's just a unit of weight, although I see the implications. I believe you're correct in saying the full word - kilogram - would sound way better.
I think euphoria is pretty benign overall. Should probably stray away from words like "high", "buzz", and related terms though.
-
CatfatherB
- Kratom Guru (Rank 9)

- Posts: 1727
- Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm
- Location: Tennessee
Re: Euphemisms for kratom terms
Wobbles!!
: That don't sound stable at all? 
-
GrannyJ62
- Exalted Kratomite (Rank 7)

- Posts: 851
- Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:20 pm
Re: Euphemisms for kratom terms
Well we use tea in place of Kratom on Facebook
-
beathappening
- Banned
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm
Re: Euphemisms for kratom terms
I meant terms for the borrowed drug slang that is commonly used by kratom users, in order to differentiate it recreational/street drugs. Like "high" and "buzz" and I'm not particularly fond of "fire" (mainly because it sounds dumb). Even other terms that resemble medical claims (cure, for example). Calling it tea or candles or whatever is just straight up misleading. It's kinda like the "not for human consumption" label, everyone knows it is, not fooling anybody. Why would a vendor sell capsules if it's not for consumption lol.GrannyJ62 wrote:Well we use tea in place of Kratom on Facebook
Like if you're trying to convince someone kratom is beneficial and safe, and then they hear you say it gives you a buzz, then they would be understandably confused and unconvinced. I'm not even entirely comfortable with throwing the term "drug" around. You don't often hear caffeine being called a drug. It's a tough spot that our community is in. (I'm just kinda thinking out loud. I have no idea how to get it in the public consciousness that kratom isn't some random street drug, especially with all the other misinformation being spread around. The slang is just one part of the problem. end tl;dr rant)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
-
LuLu
- Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
- Posts: 94
- Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:50 am
- Location: Kansas
Re: Euphemisms for kratom terms
I’ve been seeing people posting in FB Kratom groups calling it.....K!! Seriously?!? What the fuck? How can they seriously think it’s ok to call Kratom...K!! Then when you say something like “Ugh! Not a good idea to call it that considering K IS a drug” they get butthurt, and revert to keyboard warrior mode. I can’t handle stupid anymore in my life. Lol
Burn kinda bugs me too.....for the drug reference.
Toss & wash bugs me only because where I came from in Cali it’s a drug reference to throwing back pills.
Euphoria, dose, mood lift.....they don’t get to me because that’s what it’s called with normal things you take. Not just illegal.
Burn kinda bugs me too.....for the drug reference.
Toss & wash bugs me only because where I came from in Cali it’s a drug reference to throwing back pills.
Euphoria, dose, mood lift.....they don’t get to me because that’s what it’s called with normal things you take. Not just illegal.
-
beathappening
- Banned
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm
Re: Euphemisms for kratom terms
K is a commonly used term for ketamine..yet another reason why that's dumb/a bad idea. I have to stay off Facebook, for some reason it seems to attract the worst sort of people. Some of the people in the kratom FB groups are just so cringey, a good portion are middle aged people trying to stay relevant and actually know nothing about kratom (but think they do). The kind that thinks all red bali's or green maeng da's (or whatever strain) have the same effects and actually come from what their name is...just google "best kratom strains" and you'll see. I could go on.
-
acejestyr15
- Kratom Guru (Rank 9)

- Posts: 1442
- Joined: Sun May 20, 2018 11:36 am
- Location: Northwestern NJ
Re: Euphemisms for kratom terms
Me and one of my kratom using friends actually person who really introduced me to reliable vendor Kratom call it making a "drank" lol but it's really just to be dopey bastards with each other. We always been good balls when we hang out so it's more of a joke really I guess. And some other friends do legit refer to it as tea.... As for me day to day I'm just dead honest about it to anyone and everyone for the most part!
-
beathappening
- Banned
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm
Re: Euphemisms for kratom terms
I hope the folks that refer to kratom as "k" please stop. We don't call caffeine "c" and alcohol "a", etc. We don't need people lumping kratom into the "drug" category, or getting it confused with ketamine. It takes an extra second to type out the word.
- DrFappingston
- Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
- Posts: 114
- Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:09 pm
Re: Euphemisms for kratom terms
I can definitely agree with the terminology concern. Terms to the likeness of "burn" and "aroma" have long been terms used to distance one's self from an activity in online forums to avoid incriminating themselves, much like "SWIM" (which complete defies logic to me-- imagine pleading that when your bluelight posts are brought up in court
)
Dose, as I've stated previously I feel it's a general term that could apply to anything-- such as a dose of ibuprofen. Granted, when dealing with agenda-driven politicians, anything can be misconstrued.
As is currently being done with the cannabis industry, we could revert to using the scientific name. I would propose calling kratom "Mitragyaina".
The people that are referring to it as "K"... They need to stop that shit. That sounds all kinds of bad. Also, I've yet to see anyone that's actually within the community refer to the effects of kratom as a high, or even a buzz. However, that needs to stop also. I couldn't even describe it as a high. Not in the traditional sense. I still consider myself sober while on kratom... Being high is akin to being inebriated, which kratom does not do.
I hate the term "euphoria" because though at it's definition, it is accurate, it had a connotation to it that leaves much to be desired. Mood lift is a great alternative, I feel.
I think it would beneficial after this post runs it's course, to put up a glossary of sorts and enforce it. I'm not one for censorship or limiting someone's ability to speak freely... But at a time like this where any and all kratom-related conversation is liable to be used as evidence for or against the plant, it's worth the effort to ensure that the terminology we choose to use is accurate and carefully considered as not to demonize or incriminate the plant in the eyes of those who are within the positions to make the decisions.
Dose, as I've stated previously I feel it's a general term that could apply to anything-- such as a dose of ibuprofen. Granted, when dealing with agenda-driven politicians, anything can be misconstrued.
As is currently being done with the cannabis industry, we could revert to using the scientific name. I would propose calling kratom "Mitragyaina".
The people that are referring to it as "K"... They need to stop that shit. That sounds all kinds of bad. Also, I've yet to see anyone that's actually within the community refer to the effects of kratom as a high, or even a buzz. However, that needs to stop also. I couldn't even describe it as a high. Not in the traditional sense. I still consider myself sober while on kratom... Being high is akin to being inebriated, which kratom does not do.
I hate the term "euphoria" because though at it's definition, it is accurate, it had a connotation to it that leaves much to be desired. Mood lift is a great alternative, I feel.
I think it would beneficial after this post runs it's course, to put up a glossary of sorts and enforce it. I'm not one for censorship or limiting someone's ability to speak freely... But at a time like this where any and all kratom-related conversation is liable to be used as evidence for or against the plant, it's worth the effort to ensure that the terminology we choose to use is accurate and carefully considered as not to demonize or incriminate the plant in the eyes of those who are within the positions to make the decisions.
"Forget regret or life is yours to miss" - Rent