Kratom for pain control

Discuss kratom, vendors, strains, side effects, or any aspect of usage without censorship. Have a question about kratom? Ask it here and it get it answered by our friendly userbase.
Post Reply
Mountainsfall
Kratomite (Rank 1)
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Kratom for pain control

Post by Mountainsfall »

Hey all, I was recently in a car accident. Broke my hip, 4 ribs, sternum, and have third degree burns over various parts of my body.

I have a script for 5mgs of Oxycodone every 4 hours. It helps but getting up and walking is still very painful and limits me.

Prior to this I had a little experience with kratom but not for months and no experience with opiates.

I ordered a bunch of capsules from Treasure House (red MD, and modern red MD) I am hoping to use kratom to reduce my overall pain level and when my doctors take me off the oxy (which they have already told me they want to do, even though I’ve been out of the hospital only 4 days) help manage my pain.

Does anyone have experience with this? I’m around 300lbs and the oxy barely is scraping the surface of my pain.
User avatar
KurtisCards
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: Kratom for pain control

Post by KurtisCards »

dont have any experience with dealing with that much pain, but it should help.

and the nice thing about kratom is it doesnt seem to require more for a person with more weight.

you might want to switch to just the powder instead of capsules, since capsules will take longer to kick it, and usually result in less of an effect. at least in my experience thats been the case.

hope you feel better man, pain sucks!
User avatar
trigger
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Re: Kratom for pain control

Post by trigger »

Caps don’t lessen the effectsor delay the onset that I’ve noticed. If you take kratom, it could inhibit the effectiveness of the oxy, so I don’t recommend taking both. One or the other. Kratom is good for chronic pain, but injury is different. In fact, my back just went out an hour ago and the kratom isn’t touching it. Normally, it’s good for my chronic aches and pains, but not this sharp shit I’ve got right now. I’m going to the chiropractor in a couple hours.
l5s1bgon
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Re: Kratom for pain control

Post by l5s1bgon »

Wow that sounds awful, so sorry. Yeah 5 mg of oxy is way too low for what you're going through, the docs are getting so stingy with it, it's horrible. Have you told them it's not helping? They might be willing to up your dose for a short time temporarily, given the extent of your injuries.

Kratom can certainly help with pain but it is not going to bring that level of pain down. It might take a few days/tries to start to feel it, so don't give up if the first couple of tries don't work. I was underwhelmed with my very first dose but the next day I repeated the same dose with the same kratom and it blew me away. Get some sampler packs and just keep experimenting until you find what works best for you, then try to stock up on the same batches that worked well. Capsules work fine but some people feel they take longer to kick in. You can empty them or poke holes in them to speed up onset.

As far as oxy and kratom concurrently, I have done it with good results, others will say choose one or the other. They will likely start cutting your script down quickly, the next refill (if you even get one) might be written for every 8 hours, which is BS because IR oxy only lasted 2-4 hrs max for me when I was on it. Also, unless you have a contraindication, you can/should take oxy together with ibuprofen and/or acetaminophen because they work synergistically. On some of my worst pain days I have taken all of the above concurrently, including kratom, with good results, but I would NOT recommend doing that long term, and YMMV.

Finally, even just 5 mg oxy every 4 hours is enough to eventually develop a relatively minor but noticeable physical dependency; IME after even just a week of ~30 mg/day I would have some WD symptoms if I didn't taper down before cessation. Just FYI since you mentioned you don't have any experience with opiates.

Good luck, you came to the right place, you'll find all the info you need here. Feel better soon.
Yemharry02
Kratomite (Rank 1)
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 pm

Re: Kratom for pain control

Post by Yemharry02 »

Just finally got around to registering an account just to respond to this. My entire right (dominant) forearm, wrist, and thumb suffered major 2nd degree burns from a pressure cooker. A small area below the thumb and along the wrist was third degree. I have been taking Kratom daily for 3 years now and was given a 2 day supply of 5mg oxycodone. Minus the Kratom am opioid naive--hadn't take any pain meds since starting with Kratom. Although the Kratom and multiple injections of hydromorphone in the hospital may have raised my tolerance a bit, burn pain is unreal. The only thing that even touched the pain for the first 3 days was about 10-15mgs combined with either a hefty dose of a red, or 5-10 mgs with extract. I never take extracts, but being Memorial Day weekend opms gold was my only option. Boy did that work...they gave me literally 8 5mg pills but with Kratom and the extract early on I was able to be functional. Days 4 and 5 I went back to a high stress job and essentially did a rapid taper from the extract back to just plain leaf. Total life savor. The oxy alone I think was less effective than extract mixed with a little leaf. When combined however it was without a doubt synergistic....obviously pharma grade opioids and high potency extract need to be respected. I can't help but share this experience though, I never thought it would be that effective--combined and on its own.
User avatar
herbalhippie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7127
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Kratom for pain control

Post by herbalhippie »

I want to thank you both, Mountainsfall and Yemharry02 for joining and welcome to the forum!
User avatar
trigger
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Posts: 640
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Re: Kratom for pain control

Post by trigger »

I took 1 and a half Percocet 10s this afternoon for my back instead of kratom, but it didn’t help much. So after a few hours, I took some kratom. Didn’t feel it, but it put me to sleep hard. I’ve always heard not to take them together, and I have had mixed results, but I’ve noticed that even great kratom doesn’t work when I take it after an opioid, and opioids have been nullified for me if I had already taken kratom. Apparently it worked for someone, so all you can really do is experiment. Just be careful.
Mountainsfall
Kratomite (Rank 1)
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:53 pm

Re: Kratom for pain control

Post by Mountainsfall »

Hey all, to follow up, I got some kratom in the mail yesterday which happened to be one day with a decent amount of pain. I have to drive 2 hours each way to the hospital to see my trauma specialists, and it really adds up my pain.

Last night I took 7 grams of kratom approximately. After taking oxy for the last month, I did not feel any euphoria however, it did take the edge off my pain and I slept better than normal.

It seems to be effective in helping me with some of my pain and reducing the amount of opiates I need. I would love some euphoria (hard to feel too great laying in bed in pain haha) but it’s still helpful.

Also, I was recently prescribed an early muscle relaxant Norflex which is flourinated diphenhydramine and I believe they work very synergistically together.
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Kratom for pain control

Post by beathappening »

I don't know about norflex, but I occasionally take 25mg of regular diphenhydramine (benadryl) with my evening/night dose. I agree, it definitely seems to synergize, and can be a great help with insomnia
Crashley
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:20 am

Re: Kratom for pain control

Post by Crashley »

Mountainsfall wrote:Hey all, I was recently in a car accident. Broke my hip, 4 ribs, sternum, and have third degree burns over various parts of my body.

I have a script for 5mgs of Oxycodone every 4 hours. It helps but getting up and walking is still very painful and limits me.

Prior to this, I had a little experience with kratom but not for months and no experience with opiates.

I ordered a bunch of capsules from Treasure House (red MD, and modern red MD) I am hoping to use kratom to reduce my overall pain level and when my doctors take me off the oxy (which they have already told me they want to do, even though I’ve been out of the hospital only 4 days) help manage my pain.

Does anyone have experience with this? I’m around 300lbs and the oxy barely is scraping the surface of my pain.
Hi. I found kratom when my doc pulled my oxycodone script. I have nerve damage and spinal cord compression at C6 and C7. The muscles from the base of my neck through my shoulders (down to T5) are in permanent contracture. The pain of the contractures alone is agony, but it is accompanied by burning, stinging, shocklike shooting pains down my arms. It severely limits the use of my shoulders and the pain is unyielding. I was on oxycodone 30mg 6x a day, and when my doc left the office, the replacement doctor told me he wouldn't prescribe opioids to anyone but cancer patients. I seriously considered ending it all and by the grace of god found kratom. I've had small-scale burns, but I can't imagine having them over large parts of my body. I really feel for you.

It is atrocious that the doctor has only prescribed you 5mg of oxycodone considering your weight and the extent of your injuries AND taking you off of them at FOUR DAYS??? Especially when you are telling them that you are still in so much pain. I mean, really it just disgusts me!!! More worried about covering their asses than treating their patients. But that is for another thread...I think kratom can help you. When I switched from the prescription meds I was getting decent relief at 6g, although I suggest starting at 3 or 4g and seeing how you fare. Some people can take as little as 2g but many of them are not dosing for pain relief. The time it lasts varies between people, too. Some are good for 7 hours while people like me barely make it 4, and everywhere in between.

My favorite pain relieving strains are soultanic greenery wild green kappuas, red vein 1, dark elephant, white jong kong, red md jong kong, enhanciosa red mahakam, red maeng da, green jong kong, red medan, rva royal bentuangie (haven't ordered any in a few months though) and yellow indo. Full disclosure I work with Soul but it doesnt make the kratom any less effective, and you can ask anyone else here about the strains I mentioned. You will no doubt get a lot of recommendations, so another option is to join the swap/sell group on mewe. You can purchase smaller amounts of many strains from many vendors in one place. Some people even make up sample packs just for people like you.

When you are ready to actually take it, there are plenty of ways to go about it, but I mix it in hot water (it is hydrophobic and wont dissolve well in cold water, you'll end up with 5 inches of kratom foam) and squirt a bunch of mio, koolaid, crystal light etc liquid drink flavoring into it, pinch my nose and down the hatch. Then rinse. The flavoring makes it tolerable. You can purchase caps too but they cost 5-6x what powdered leaf does. Also, I would check out taking agmatine to slow the build-up of tolerance since youre going to be taking it multiple times a day, every day. Cimetidine (tagamet) is a potentiator that dramatically increases the effectiveness, although I advise trying it out with just the agmatine first and see how it goes. I needed the tagamet to get enough pain relief but most people don't until theyve been taking it for a long time.
Crashley
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:20 am

Re: Kratom for pain control

Post by Crashley »

KurtisCards wrote:dont have any experience with dealing with that much pain, but it should help.

and the nice thing about kratom is it doesnt seem to require more for a person with more weight.

you might want to switch to just the powder instead of capsules, since capsules will take longer to kick it, and usually result in less of an effect. at least in my experience thats been the case.

hope you feel better man, pain sucks!
I agree. When I took caps it took an hour an a half to kick in, I couldn't believe it. After trying them a couple of times just to make sure that was actually the case, I went right back to powder.
Leaflover43
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:56 am

Re: Kratom for pain control

Post by Leaflover43 »

I'm so sorry to hear what you are goinf through. Sending good vibes!
I have MS and struggle daily with nerve pain, spasticity and muscle spasms. Kratom has been a god send and keeps me off opiates. I rotate through a few: Canopys Red Hulu. Inland Botanicals White Indo and Mitra Man Gold Borneo are my current faves.
Post Reply