Does kratom expire?
-
Klubbs
- Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
- Posts: 66
- Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 6:55 pm
Does kratom expire?
Does kratom have a general expiration date? I was going through an old stash and there is some stuff that is 2-3 years old. Would it be safe to burn? They are all stored in their original packaging opened.
-
beathappening
- Banned
- Posts: 1643
- Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm
Re: Does kratom expire?
As long as it's kept in a cool dry place I think you're fine. I've taken kratom from 2016 with no issue. I've never heard of anyone's kratom "expiring" in all the years I've been in the community. I'm guessing it must lose some potency over a long period of time, but there wouldn't be any ill effects. Idk if the bag actually being open would change any of that 
- mivanqua
- Kratom Champion (Rank 11)

- Posts: 2353
- Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am
Re: Does kratom expire?
I wouldn't take it! Send it to me, I know of an expired kratom refuse facility a few towns over that can destroy your disgusting kratom before it causes any problems for you or your loved ones. It costs a little, but I'll take care of that. Some expired kratom can be ESPECIALLY dangerous! Garden of Edens "Forbidden Fruit" is best removed from your possession ASAP! IT IS ESPECIALLY HEINOUS AND NOXIOUS! Anything from Motark or Herbaldom should be sent to me IMMEDIATELY. (ESPECIALLY greens!) Send it before it's too late! I'll PM my address and will take FULL RESPONSIBILITY. The WORLD AT LARGE thanks you for your promptness and diligence.Klubbs wrote:Does kratom have a general expiration date? I was going through an old stash and there is some stuff that is 2-3 years old. Would it be safe to burn? They are all stored in their original packaging opened.
Also, before you handle any 7OHM kratom, please wear appropriate safety gear FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! That stuff is so nasty, the refuse facility charges extra to dispose of it.
-
CatfatherB
- Kratom Guru (Rank 9)

- Posts: 1727
- Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm
- Location: Tennessee
Re: Does kratom expire?
mivanqua wrote:I wouldn't take it! Send it to me, I know of an expired kratom refuse facility a few towns over that can destroy your disgusting kratom before it causes any problems for you or your loved ones. It costs a little, but I'll take care of that. Some expired kratom can be ESPECIALLY dangerous! Garden of Edens "Forbidden Fruit" is best removed from your possession ASAP! IT IS ESPECIALLY HEINOUS AND NOXIOUS! Anything from Motark or Herbaldom should be sent to me IMMEDIATELY. (ESPECIALLY greens!) Send it before it's too late! I'll PM my address and will take FULL RESPONSIBILITY. The WORLD AT LARGE thanks you for your promptness and diligence.Klubbs wrote:Does kratom have a general expiration date? I was going through an old stash and there is some stuff that is 2-3 years old. Would it be safe to burn? They are all stored in their original packaging opened.
Also, before you handle any 7OHM kratom, please wear appropriate safety gear FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! That stuff is so nasty, the refuse facility charges extra to dispose of it.
- mivanqua
- Kratom Champion (Rank 11)

- Posts: 2353
- Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am
Re: Does kratom expire?
(Don't worry guys, I'll share!)CatfatherB wrote:jmivanqua wrote:I wouldn't take it! Send it to me, I know of an expired kratom refuse facility a few towns over that can destroy your disgusting kratom before it causes any problems for you or your loved ones. It costs a little, but I'll take care of that. Some expired kratom can be ESPECIALLY dangerous! Garden of Edens "Forbidden Fruit" is best removed from your possession ASAP! IT IS ESPECIALLY HEINOUS AND NOXIOUS! Anything from Motark or Herbaldom should be sent to me IMMEDIATELY. (ESPECIALLY greens!) Send it before it's too late! I'll PM my address and will take FULL RESPONSIBILITY. The WORLD AT LARGE thanks you for your promptness and diligence.Klubbs wrote:Does kratom have a general expiration date? I was going through an old stash and there is some stuff that is 2-3 years old. Would it be safe to burn? They are all stored in their original packaging opened.
Also, before you handle any 7OHM kratom, please wear appropriate safety gear FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! That stuff is so nasty, the refuse facility charges extra to dispose of it.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
- gumbyke1
- Verified Vendor

- Posts: 806
- Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 pm
- Location: Dallas, Texas
Re: Does kratom expire?
Its perfectly safe as long as it was stored properly. I have tons of old kratom... back all the way to 2012. Keep it free of moisture and light and you are good to go!
Texas Family Harvest - for connoisseurs, by connoisseurs.
- brave777
- Kratom Master (Rank 10)

- Posts: 1857
- Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:05 am
Re: Does kratom expire?
I have officially stopped buying recent fire's, i am revisiting some 2015-2016 batches that i put away and consider it pretty darn chilli fire. Guys if you got a stash, time to re-visit the gems. I somehow think its like cheese or wine, it ages and becomes stronger. but i dont know, just assumption because i enjoy it a lot. Maybe alkaloids mutate it self as a thank you for letting me age. I would looooove to buy some 2000-2005 kratom and see how that compares to recent batches. But i dont think anyone on this forum would have old stash like that. Would be nice thought.
Kratom user since 2014!
-
RumRunner
- Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)

- Posts: 595
- Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 am
Re: Does kratom expire?
Does anyone have any leaf older than Gumby’s 2012 ?brave777 wrote:Maybe alkaloids mutate it self as a thank you for letting me age. I would looooove to buy some 2000-2005 kratom and see how that compares to recent batches.
-
FossilsAreRocks
- Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:32 pm
Re: Does kratom expire?
I'll repeat what others have said; perhaps the taste may replicate the same qualities as old green tea, but I doubt the effects would be diminished.
-
Oletimer
- Exalted Kratomite (Rank 7)

- Posts: 928
- Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:50 pm
Re: Does kratom expire?
I agree with brave 777,, I think it gets better with age, as long as you store it properly, ,I have noticed that some krarom remains the same color, ,and some of it changes to a bright lime green color, ,those are the ones that seem better ,idk ,,I only notice the change of color in kratom stored in the clear plymor bags,,,not all of them,,but several, ,I don't know why it turns bright green, while others stay dull, ,maybe it's aging ,anyone else notice that? 
-
fusedflora
- Verified Vendor

- Posts: 488
- Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:46 pm
- Contact:
Re: Does kratom expire?
I agree.Oletimer wrote:I agree with brave 777,, I think it gets better with age, as long as you store it properly, ,I have noticed that some krarom remains the same color, ,and some of it changes to a bright lime green color, ,those are the ones that seem better ,idk ,,I only notice the change of color in kratom stored in the clear plymor bags,,,not all of them,,but several, ,I don't know why it turns bright green, while others stay dull, ,maybe it's aging ,anyone else notice that?
Over time, some of the mitragynine will interact with the decomposing plant matter and air and can turn into Mitragynine pseudoindoxyl and/or 7OHM. Both are still potent alkaloids. Years later, I would expect the mitragynine content to change by fractions of a %, but the effects would remain the same, or if in ionized environment, more 7OHM would be made, making it actually more potent. So shelf life in potentency, perhaps like a good red wine. The main concern really is the growth of coliform, mold, mildew, and bacteria. This is compounded every time the container is opened, and it would be hard to say "how long?" Certainly, alkaloids are anti-mircobial for the most part, but there are still plenty of organisms that will eat it. If I had to guess, I'd say if airtight, limited opening, no sun, and in dry environment when opened it'd be fine for a very long time.