Kratom & Heat

Discuss kratom, vendors, strains, side effects, or any aspect of usage without censorship. Have a question about kratom? Ask it here and it get it answered by our friendly userbase.
Post Reply
redsapplegoat
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:04 am

Kratom & Heat

Post by redsapplegoat »

I’ve read that heat will destroy alkaloids. I’ve read that boiling water won’t destroy alkaloids. What is the truth? Anyone tested kratom using different temperatures of water? It seems that hot water affects my kratom based on the temperature but it also could be the kratom..
User avatar
mivanqua
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am

Re: Kratom & Heat

Post by mivanqua »

Boiling DOES NOT destroy the alkaloids. It RIPS OPEN the cell walls with GREAT vengeance (for your pleasure ;) ) The temperature at which they are destroyed is higher than that of boiling water. Someone on here (was it Gumby or Ballz or...?) said that the Malaysians boil leaves (fresh) for HOURS and then imbibe the lovely tea.
redsapplegoat
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:04 am

Re: Kratom & Heat

Post by redsapplegoat »

Awesome, so I’m not using hot enough water then. Thanks for the info. This site is truly the best source of kratom information!
User avatar
herbalhippie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7127
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Kratom & Heat

Post by herbalhippie »

mivanqua wrote: said that the Malaysians boil leaves (fresh) for HOURS and
get their butts kicked

:lol:
User avatar
gumbyke1
Verified Vendor
Verified Vendor
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Kratom & Heat

Post by gumbyke1 »

I wish somebody would get all nerd-scientist on this topic and tell us exactly how heat affects the different alkaloids. There seems to be an overwhelming consensus that boiling kratom to a tea does not seem to negate its effects, but what we don't know is how hot or how long that holds true. It's well scientifically documented in other substances that a heated acidic extraction can produce a high yield in alkaloid content from plant material. Similar studies also show that too much heat for too long can result in a lower yield.

What I do know is that simmering water + Acid is a popular method in making kratom extracts and resin. I have never personally experimented with extract production - so I don't really know too much about how long or how hot you can boil.
Texas Family Harvest - for connoisseurs, by connoisseurs.
User avatar
mivanqua
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am

Re: Kratom & Heat

Post by mivanqua »

herbalhippie wrote:
mivanqua wrote: said that the Malaysians boil leaves (fresh) for HOURS and
get their butts kicked

:lol:
hippie FTW! Much better than my ending. Thanks.
User avatar
mivanqua
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am

Re: Kratom & Heat

Post by mivanqua »

gumbyke1 wrote:I wish somebody would get all nerd-scientist on this topic and tell us exactly how heat affects the different alkaloids. There seems to be an overwhelming consensus that boiling kratom to a tea does not seem to negate its effects, but what we don't know is how hot or how long that holds true. It's well scientifically documented in other substances that a heated acidic extraction can produce a high yield in alkaloid content from plant material. Similar studies also show that too much heat for too long can result in a lower yield.

What I do know is that simmering water + Acid is a popular method in making kratom extracts and resin. I have never personally experimented with extract production - so I don't really know too much about how long or how hot you can boil.
Nerds may be able to chime in if he catches this. I know he's experimented LOTS with tea, but what I DON'T know is how scientific he got with his experiments (or if he documented his hits and misses, you know?)
Salo
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:20 pm

Re: Kratom & Heat

Post by Salo »

I have been undertaking a surface level review of what, within the scientific/medical professional community, are considered respectable academic and peer reviewed sources about kratom. Due to the taboo nature of kratom, I have also made reviewing public data resources a priority (reddit, double mm, the first 100 results from google searches...). These sources have not been very scientifically informative. Does anybody know of better resources for scientifically verified information? Also, (I am resistant to say this for many reason [ aka ... being a a pumpous dick, changing how I’m perceived, outing myself....] but I respect this forum), are there any other people who are professional scientist, people with post graduate degrees, or are scientistic autodidacts? As someone who has spent time professionally in academia, the government, tech, and the private sector I have seen how pulling together a small team of overlapping interests/scientist can get some real shit done! If anyone would like to collaborate or start cutting up information feel free to PM me.
CatfatherB
Kratom Guru (Rank 9)
Kratom Guru (Rank 9)
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Kratom & Heat

Post by CatfatherB »

I graduated high school and am currently unemployed?

YEAH, SCIENCE!!!!!
Post Reply