What is the point of panic buying?

Discuss kratom, vendors, strains, side effects, or any aspect of usage without censorship. Have a question about kratom? Ask it here and it get it answered by our friendly userbase.
Post Reply
RumRunner
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 am

What is the point of panic buying?

Post by RumRunner »

We can’t buy toilet paper at your local grocery store. I get it. People fear the unknown. So we err on the side of caution.
But what about kratom? I know heavy users can go thru a kilo every month or two. But buying 5 or 10 kilos? Is this a good idea? I say no and here’s why.

All things pass. Corona will pass. Life will go back to normal. We’re not sure when, but things will improve. We will get on with life. There will be a vaccine eventually. We’ll move on.

Think about buying 5 kilos of a particular leaf in 2018. Then 2019 arrives. What a great year for kratom. Abundant, high quality and relatively cheap. Now your 5 kilos from 2018 aren’t so wonderful anymore. And I’m betting that 2020 will be better. Just look at all the positive buzz about TFH winter leaf! The prospects for high quality this summer are better than ever.

Don’t panic buy. Stay positive. This will pass.
User avatar
KurtisCards
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 468
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by KurtisCards »

I really hope this passes, keep contemplating buying a kilo just in case, but I also have enough that i could taper off comfortably. plus don't want to order a bunch of stuff that may or not be good, and just be out the money i could have used for something more important.
CatfatherB
Kratom Guru (Rank 9)
Kratom Guru (Rank 9)
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by CatfatherB »

Between this forum and MeWe I have learned...
The FOMO can be a MOFO!!!! :lol:
User avatar
mivanqua
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by mivanqua »

CatfatherB wrote:Between this forum and MeWe I have learned...
The FOMO can be a MOFO!!!! :lol:
What's FOMO weird-O?
Greyfeather
Kratom Pro (Rank 8)
Kratom Pro (Rank 8)
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by Greyfeather »

It means Fear Of Missing Out. It's a Millennial word, but since they are getting old now no one uses their language anymore :D
marvelous
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:16 pm

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by marvelous »

The panic everyone is having is just worsening the situation and making others panic as well.
Unfortunately this would be expected based off the way the situation was handled lightly when it was discovered.
FriendshipGulag
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by FriendshipGulag »

Not sure there is really a risk to supply unless the country shuts down international trade. That can't really happen due to our heavy reliance on non-domestic manufactured products. Considering the country of origin, I don't think supply can be affected. The government has different concerns right now regarding importing countries. Panic buying isn't really necessary.
nerdy ninja
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:12 pm

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by nerdy ninja »

this is exactly what I was thinking about past few days. The grocery store stuff I get but I don’t see kratom becoming unavailable unless international shipping is halted which even if did happen I believe it would be reopened before the dry leaf season begins which is the time you want to stock up.
Marcussk
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:45 am
Location: WNC

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by Marcussk »

nerdy ninja wrote:this is exactly what I was thinking about past few days. The grocery store stuff I get but I don’t see kratom becoming unavailable unless international shipping is halted which even if did happen I believe it would be reopened before the dry leaf season begins which is the time you want to stock up.
International shipping hasn't halted but it doesn't look good regardless.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4788
pray4peace4
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 444
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:46 am

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by pray4peace4 »

I think it was gumby, maybe I'm wrong, that made a comment last week that airlines are severely limiting how much kratom can be loaded on each plane, & there's a shortage of about 1 million shipping containers(for ocean shipping) because they're waiting for disinfection at docks, & both together are likely to slow our kratom supply. So while it's good that vendors in the States have a current ample supply, it could lead to a shortage eventually.
Greyfeather
Kratom Pro (Rank 8)
Kratom Pro (Rank 8)
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by Greyfeather »

There's a thread on this subject elsewhere on the forum. One vendors has written that he still gets weekly shipments.
Pete2000
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:11 pm

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by Pete2000 »

Just saw a vendor posting on discord that POS shut down for now. Haven't seen any other confirmation yet.

Good news I've seen several vendors mention that they are either stocked up, or have shipments already on the way. Fingers crossed we can ride this out.
Greyfeather
Kratom Pro (Rank 8)
Kratom Pro (Rank 8)
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by Greyfeather »

I feel optimistic - at least for the summer and fall. Question is - will anyone have any $$ to spend on kratom when we are struggling to pay rent, food, utilities, INTERNET!

It looks like Bernie's "socialism" has quite neatly arrived and he won't even win the nomination ;)

Take that Trump-lovers! :lol:
Jada1472
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:49 am

Re: What is the point of panic buying?

Post by Jada1472 »

I can see the argument for not “panic” buying. If you’re not going to use it in relatively short order then it doesn’t make a lot of sense to be buying 10KG. But if you know you’re going to need a couple KG to get you to summer there isn’t much of a downside to building a stash. In some counties people can’t even leave their houses. I’d rather have a couple months extra at this point. (But I’m certainly not buying anyone out beyond my own personal use)
Post Reply