Does kratom expire?

Discuss kratom, vendors, strains, side effects, or any aspect of usage without censorship. Have a question about kratom? Ask it here and it get it answered by our friendly userbase.
Post Reply
Klubbs
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 6:55 pm

Does kratom expire?

Post by Klubbs »

Does kratom have a general expiration date? I was going through an old stash and there is some stuff that is 2-3 years old. Would it be safe to burn? They are all stored in their original packaging opened.
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Does kratom expire?

Post by beathappening »

As long as it's kept in a cool dry place I think you're fine. I've taken kratom from 2016 with no issue. I've never heard of anyone's kratom "expiring" in all the years I've been in the community. I'm guessing it must lose some potency over a long period of time, but there wouldn't be any ill effects. Idk if the bag actually being open would change any of that :?:
User avatar
mivanqua
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am

Re: Does kratom expire?

Post by mivanqua »

Klubbs wrote:Does kratom have a general expiration date? I was going through an old stash and there is some stuff that is 2-3 years old. Would it be safe to burn? They are all stored in their original packaging opened.
I wouldn't take it! Send it to me, I know of an expired kratom refuse facility a few towns over that can destroy your disgusting kratom before it causes any problems for you or your loved ones. It costs a little, but I'll take care of that. Some expired kratom can be ESPECIALLY dangerous! Garden of Edens "Forbidden Fruit" is best removed from your possession ASAP! IT IS ESPECIALLY HEINOUS AND NOXIOUS! Anything from Motark or Herbaldom should be sent to me IMMEDIATELY. (ESPECIALLY greens!) Send it before it's too late! I'll PM my address and will take FULL RESPONSIBILITY. The WORLD AT LARGE thanks you for your promptness and diligence.

Also, before you handle any 7OHM kratom, please wear appropriate safety gear FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! That stuff is so nasty, the refuse facility charges extra to dispose of it.
CatfatherB
Kratom Guru (Rank 9)
Kratom Guru (Rank 9)
Posts: 1727
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Does kratom expire?

Post by CatfatherB »

mivanqua wrote:
Klubbs wrote:Does kratom have a general expiration date? I was going through an old stash and there is some stuff that is 2-3 years old. Would it be safe to burn? They are all stored in their original packaging opened.
I wouldn't take it! Send it to me, I know of an expired kratom refuse facility a few towns over that can destroy your disgusting kratom before it causes any problems for you or your loved ones. It costs a little, but I'll take care of that. Some expired kratom can be ESPECIALLY dangerous! Garden of Edens "Forbidden Fruit" is best removed from your possession ASAP! IT IS ESPECIALLY HEINOUS AND NOXIOUS! Anything from Motark or Herbaldom should be sent to me IMMEDIATELY. (ESPECIALLY greens!) Send it before it's too late! I'll PM my address and will take FULL RESPONSIBILITY. The WORLD AT LARGE thanks you for your promptness and diligence.

Also, before you handle any 7OHM kratom, please wear appropriate safety gear FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! That stuff is so nasty, the refuse facility charges extra to dispose of it.


:shock: :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
mivanqua
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Kratom Champion (Rank 11)
Posts: 2353
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 5:55 am

Re: Does kratom expire?

Post by mivanqua »

CatfatherB wrote:
mivanqua wrote:
Klubbs wrote:Does kratom have a general expiration date? I was going through an old stash and there is some stuff that is 2-3 years old. Would it be safe to burn? They are all stored in their original packaging opened.
I wouldn't take it! Send it to me, I know of an expired kratom refuse facility a few towns over that can destroy your disgusting kratom before it causes any problems for you or your loved ones. It costs a little, but I'll take care of that. Some expired kratom can be ESPECIALLY dangerous! Garden of Edens "Forbidden Fruit" is best removed from your possession ASAP! IT IS ESPECIALLY HEINOUS AND NOXIOUS! Anything from Motark or Herbaldom should be sent to me IMMEDIATELY. (ESPECIALLY greens!) Send it before it's too late! I'll PM my address and will take FULL RESPONSIBILITY. The WORLD AT LARGE thanks you for your promptness and diligence.

Also, before you handle any 7OHM kratom, please wear appropriate safety gear FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! That stuff is so nasty, the refuse facility charges extra to dispose of it.
j



:shock: :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
(Don't worry guys, I'll share!)
User avatar
gumbyke1
Verified Vendor
Verified Vendor
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:15 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Does kratom expire?

Post by gumbyke1 »

Its perfectly safe as long as it was stored properly. I have tons of old kratom... back all the way to 2012. Keep it free of moisture and light and you are good to go!
Texas Family Harvest - for connoisseurs, by connoisseurs.
User avatar
brave777
Kratom Master (Rank 10)
Kratom Master (Rank 10)
Posts: 1857
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:05 am

Re: Does kratom expire?

Post by brave777 »

I have officially stopped buying recent fire's, i am revisiting some 2015-2016 batches that i put away and consider it pretty darn chilli fire. Guys if you got a stash, time to re-visit the gems. I somehow think its like cheese or wine, it ages and becomes stronger. but i dont know, just assumption because i enjoy it a lot. Maybe alkaloids mutate it self as a thank you for letting me age. I would looooove to buy some 2000-2005 kratom and see how that compares to recent batches. But i dont think anyone on this forum would have old stash like that. Would be nice thought.
Kratom user since 2014!
RumRunner
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 am

Re: Does kratom expire?

Post by RumRunner »

brave777 wrote:Maybe alkaloids mutate it self as a thank you for letting me age. I would looooove to buy some 2000-2005 kratom and see how that compares to recent batches.
Does anyone have any leaf older than Gumby’s 2012 ?
FossilsAreRocks
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:32 pm

Re: Does kratom expire?

Post by FossilsAreRocks »

I'll repeat what others have said; perhaps the taste may replicate the same qualities as old green tea, but I doubt the effects would be diminished.
Oletimer
Exalted Kratomite (Rank 7)
Exalted Kratomite (Rank 7)
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Re: Does kratom expire?

Post by Oletimer »

I agree with brave 777,, I think it gets better with age, as long as you store it properly, ,I have noticed that some krarom remains the same color, ,and some of it changes to a bright lime green color, ,those are the ones that seem better ,idk ,,I only notice the change of color in kratom stored in the clear plymor bags,,,not all of them,,but several, ,I don't know why it turns bright green, while others stay dull, ,maybe it's aging ,anyone else notice that? :mrgreen:
fusedflora
Verified Vendor
Verified Vendor
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Does kratom expire?

Post by fusedflora »

Oletimer wrote:I agree with brave 777,, I think it gets better with age, as long as you store it properly, ,I have noticed that some krarom remains the same color, ,and some of it changes to a bright lime green color, ,those are the ones that seem better ,idk ,,I only notice the change of color in kratom stored in the clear plymor bags,,,not all of them,,but several, ,I don't know why it turns bright green, while others stay dull, ,maybe it's aging ,anyone else notice that? :mrgreen:
I agree.

Over time, some of the mitragynine will interact with the decomposing plant matter and air and can turn into Mitragynine pseudoindoxyl and/or 7OHM.  Both are still potent alkaloids.  Years later, I would expect the mitragynine content to change by fractions of a %, but the effects would remain the same, or if in ionized environment, more 7OHM would be made, making it actually more potent.  So shelf life in potentency, perhaps like a good red wine.  The main concern really is the growth of coliform, mold, mildew, and bacteria.  This is compounded every time the container is opened, and it would be hard to say "how long?"  Certainly, alkaloids are anti-mircobial for the most part, but there are still plenty of organisms that will eat it.  If I had to guess, I'd say if airtight, limited opening, no sun, and in dry environment when opened it'd be fine for a very long time.
Post Reply