Question for those wise in the ways of science

Discuss kratom, vendors, strains, side effects, or any aspect of usage without censorship. Have a question about kratom? Ask it here and it get it answered by our friendly userbase.
Post Reply
MorriesWigs80
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:08 pm
Location: Wilmington NC/Troy NY

Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by MorriesWigs80 »

Okay guys and gals. So, I usually mix my Kratom in hot water from my Keurig machine. I add just a little lemon, shake it in the hot water thoroughly, and wait for it to cool enough to drink. This morning, I didn’t have time to wait for it. Instead, I shocked it with 3 ice cubes. About 30 minutes later, I was blown away by how good the burn was, and it lasted longer than Usual. About 6 hours later I took my typical dose in OJ, and it was alright. Typical mid day burn, kept me going. I figured it’s probably just a random good morning burn, but what the heck, I took my bedtime dose by shocking the hot Kratom with ice, and slammed. Well, I’m writing this, so yes, it blew me away again! I’m not complaining. My question is : Is there any chemistry or scientific reason why I’d have this potentiated effect from heating, mixing and having it rapidly cooled with ice? I’m curious if anyone may know, or if I’m just having a good day. Any answers appreciated!
plumplump
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by plumplump »

hmmm. imma try it myself. i don't know any thing about chemistry, so ill just see if it works for me. gonna do it for my evening burn here in a minute. 4g 50/50 red nugroz and red malay. ill report back shortly.
MorriesWigs80
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:08 pm
Location: Wilmington NC/Troy NY

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by MorriesWigs80 »

plumplump wrote:hmmm. imma try it myself. i don't know any thing about chemistry, so ill just see if it works for me. gonna do it for my evening burn here in a minute. 4g 50/50 red nugroz and red malay. ill report back shortly.
Nice - keep me posted. It’s a win-win experiment haha. I did it for my evening mix 4.5g PMD/Super Red MD Jong Kong. Feeling nice.
plumplump
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by plumplump »

after about 20 minutes it seems that i have noticed a slight difference from my normal night burn. not like massively different, but enough that i would say, "damn, pretty decent burn i got going here". it could be that i was looking for something, placebo effect, or whatever. but for sure enough that i am gonna experiment with this further.

how much water do you use? i used about a coffee cups worth. also i don't have any citrus around, so that may factor in.

im gonna try it tomorrow for my mid day dose. green or a mix of green and white. also, im gonna try it at half my normal amount.
plumplump
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by plumplump »

update: definitely one of the better burns i have had at night lately. most of my burns lately could be filed under the heading, "maintenance" they get the job done but lack some of the more pleasant side benefits, euphoria and mood lift. i am due for a taper and tolerance break for sure, but this was a welcome surprise.
MorriesWigs80
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:08 pm
Location: Wilmington NC/Troy NY

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by MorriesWigs80 »

plumplump wrote:update: definitely one of the better burns i have had at night lately. most of my burns lately could be filed under the heading, "maintenance" they get the job done but lack some of the more pleasant side benefits, euphoria and mood lift. i am due for a taper and tolerance break for sure, but this was a welcome surprise.
That’s exactly how I have been. Maintenance....bit after 30 minutes, it’s absolutely more pronounced. I’m going to burn using the same technique tomorrow morning and see if it’s still the same deal. And I use about 5oz of scalding hot water, so about the same as you. Almost a cup of coffee amount of water. And I mix my doses in an 8oz glass jar, used to be a honey jar. Easy to clean, and just small enough to shake up the medicine.
Pete2000
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 189
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:11 pm

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by Pete2000 »

MorriesWigs80 wrote:My question is : Is there any chemistry or scientific reason why I’d have this potentiated effect from heating, mixing and having it rapidly cooled with ice? I’m curious if anyone may know, or if I’m just having a good day. Any answers appreciated!
Maybe the heating and quick cooling helped to break down the cell walls, like a quick and dirty red bubble technique. Or maybe some of the 40+ Kratom alkaloids degrade when exposed to heat for too long.

All I know for sure is that it's hot and humid out, and some Kratom iced tea sounds pretty good.
MorriesWigs80
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:08 pm
Location: Wilmington NC/Troy NY

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by MorriesWigs80 »

Pete2000 wrote:
MorriesWigs80 wrote:My question is : Is there any chemistry or scientific reason why I’d have this potentiated effect from heating, mixing and having it rapidly cooled with ice? I’m curious if anyone may know, or if I’m just having a good day. Any answers appreciated!
Maybe the heating and quick cooling helped to break down the cell walls, like a quick and dirty red bubble technique. Or maybe some of the 40+ Kratom alkaloids degrade when exposed to heat for too long.

All I know for sure is that it's hot and humid out, and some Kratom iced tea sounds pretty good.
I’ve been thinking about it, and I think you may be right. I’m guessing the heat and citric acid pull out alkaloids, but by shocking it with ice, it cools it so degradation from prolonged exposure to the heat and citric acid doesn’t occur
plumplump
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by plumplump »

cut my burns in half today, tapering for a tolerance break. did my daytimes as toss and wash like normal and had some very slight discomfort from the taper. did my nighttime with this method again and had zero discomfort from halving my normal burn. i think there is probably something to this, i just have no idea why. ive only tried the red bubble thing once and had an adverse reaction. i don't remember if you are supposed to have the water hot first? if its not something people do maybe thats worth a try, hot water, shock it, and then freeze overnight?
User avatar
herbalhippie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 7127
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:00 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by herbalhippie »

About how hot does the water have to be? Boiling? How long do you let it sit before you put the ice cubes in? Is lemon juice necessary?
conscious_conundrum
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by conscious_conundrum »

This is actually how I prepare my tea every time I burn. Pour about 1/2 cup boiling or near boiling water on powder, stir, let steep for 3-4 minutes then add ice cubes. My burns are almost always effective, and I am definitely intrigued if there is any science behind that method/ :?: :ugeek:
edit: I do not use lemon juice
MorriesWigs80
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:08 pm
Location: Wilmington NC/Troy NY

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by MorriesWigs80 »

herbalhippie wrote:About how hot does the water have to be? Boiling? How long do you let it sit before you put the ice cubes in? Is lemon juice necessary?
I’m not sure if the lemon is necessary, but the water is from the Keurig. Just start it without a K-Cup. So it’s not quite boiling, but very hot. I shake it in the hot water, and let it sit for only about a minute before I shock it with ice. I was about to do a long needed tolerance break, but I’ve been doing this method for a few days now, and my burns are consistently better this way. I’m still about to do a tolerance break (I haven’t taken one in about 90 days and I’m up to 5g per burn, a little more than I’d like to be at) I’m not a big placebo guy, I’ve been almost trying to prove this is in my head, but it’s been repeatedly getting great results. Give it a shot Herbal Hippie! And let me know, hopefully I’m not crazy lol. I think the heat brings out the alkaloids and the sudden cooling just prevents the temperature from destroying the alkaloids from lengthy exposure. I just did it again for my bedtime dose and I’m feeling groovy :)
MorriesWigs80
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:08 pm
Location: Wilmington NC/Troy NY

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by MorriesWigs80 »

conscious_conundrum wrote:This is actually how I prepare my tea every time I burn. Pour about 1/2 cup boiling or near boiling water on powder, stir, let steep for 3-4 minutes then add ice cubes. My burns are almost always effective, and I am definitely intrigued if there is any science behind that method/ :?: :ugeek:
edit: I do not use lemon juice
I think im doing to leave out the lemon juice tomorrow morning.
User avatar
IndelibleDotInk
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Posts: 3358
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:21 pm
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by IndelibleDotInk »

update?
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by beathappening »

I'm inclined to think this is just coincidence. The temperature or the kratom solution rapidly increases as soon as you ingest it, getting up to 90° (body heat temperature). So adding ice might slowly slow that process, but I'm doubtful that it would.produce drastically different results. After all,.I've taken kratom at extremely hot temperatures in tea, and ice cold refrigerated juice without noticing a difference. I have also not noticed much difference between using lemon juice/ACV. Just my thoughts.
Greyfeather
Kratom Pro (Rank 8)
Kratom Pro (Rank 8)
Posts: 1225
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:52 pm

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by Greyfeather »

@MorrisWigs80

Some of our greatest "discoveries" were accidental, lol.

Maybe it was more potent because you were able to get the tea into yourself quickly (by cooling it fast)?
fusedflora
Verified Vendor
Verified Vendor
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by fusedflora »

MorriesWigs80 wrote:Okay guys and gals. So, I usually mix my Kratom in hot water from my Keurig machine. I add just a little lemon, shake it in the hot water thoroughly, and wait for it to cool enough to drink. This morning, I didn’t have time to wait for it. Instead, I shocked it with 3 ice cubes. About 30 minutes later, I was blown away by how good the burn was, and it lasted longer than Usual. About 6 hours later I took my typical dose in OJ, and it was alright. Typical mid day burn, kept me going. I figured it’s probably just a random good morning burn, but what the heck, I took my bedtime dose by shocking the hot Kratom with ice, and slammed. Well, I’m writing this, so yes, it blew me away again! I’m not complaining. My question is : Is there any chemistry or scientific reason why I’d have this potentiated effect from heating, mixing and having it rapidly cooled with ice? I’m curious if anyone may know, or if I’m just having a good day. Any answers appreciated!

So I'd wager it had a slower onset as well if you paid attention. Shocking with ice did little to the alkaloid content, but what it did was limit your body's ability to absorb it. You're body can only absorb liquids when they reach close to your body temperature, cooling it would keep it in your stomach longer until warm enough to absorb.

Short, you extended the duration of the alkaloids in your stomach by cooling it, your body couldn't as rapidly absorb them. This would allow more time for the stomach acid to break down the plant matter, thus leading to a longer burn.
beathappening
Banned
Posts: 1643
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by beathappening »

I just realized the Monty Python reference :lol:
MorriesWigs80
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:08 pm
Location: Wilmington NC/Troy NY

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by MorriesWigs80 »

beathappening wrote:I just realized the Monty Python reference :lol:
I’m glad you caught it :lol:
Somethingsacred
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:50 am

Re: Question for those wise in the ways of science

Post by Somethingsacred »

This sounds worth trying ... for science !
Post Reply