Quitting Kratom Usage

Discuss kratom, vendors, strains, side effects, or any aspect of usage without censorship. Have a question about kratom? Ask it here and it get it answered by our friendly userbase.
Post Reply
cjpummel
Kratomite (Rank 1)
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:38 am

Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by cjpummel »

I became a Kratom user when I needed something to help my knee pain (ostearthritis). I started taking it four months ago and have been taking about a tablespoon (maybe a little less) of the powdered form every evening before bed. I order it from a very reputable site on the internet. At first, it did help some with my pain, but I actually like the euphoric natures of the drug best of all. After about four months I became a little more immune and the affects were not as noticeable so I started increasing my dosage. This proved unsuccessful, not only because of the cost, but my legs and arms started feeling strange and I would wake up with the most god awful taste in my mouth. All this being said, I quit using it cold turkey and I had very uncomfortable side affects like: runny nose, congestion, bad restless leg syndrome, lack of sleep and a bad headache. I never get headaches either, but this was uncomfortable. It’s been about 5 days now, the headache is gone, bad taste in my mouth left, but I still have a mild restless leg syndrome which I hope will leave me soon. I was also concerned with the courseness of the powder ... it can’t be good for the liver to process everyday. I don’t plan to purchase it again. Everyone is different, but I really believe the euphoria you get from Kratom outweighs the pain benefits and I think users are in denial if they say they can’t live without it for their pain! I would think if someone has been taking Kratom for a year or more... I would suggest tapering off very slowly in order to quit. I was taking very little over four months and the side effects for quitting Kratom is something I don’t ever want to experience again! Hope this helps users out there if you’re thinking about quitting. I think this drug is just too risky.
Marcussk
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:45 am
Location: WNC

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by Marcussk »

Well first of all you should have been using a scale and weighing out your doses, at a tablespoon you was probably taking atleast 10g or so at a time. And the absolute worst thing to do is start increasing your dose because you aren't getting the same effects.

When taking kratom for energy, depression, pain relief or anything like that it is beat to take at the lowest dose possible to get good effects, it's called less us more. When the effects start to become less then it's time to take a t break and lower your dose or quit for a period of time.

I've heard this argument before and it is absolutely ridiculous. Honestly kratom isnt any worse than caffeine and the withdrawals from it aren't either. Let me explain why.
1st of all let's say I drink 1 -3 cups of coffee a day/ or I take one 3 gram dose of kratom a day. If I was to quit this habit I may experience slight discomfort but it will probably not be a noticeable difference.
2nd let's say I drink coffee or soda all day long/ dose 3g of kratom 3 times a day. I'm going to notice quitting either of these habits, because my body is used to receiving these supplements all day every day. I'll probably get a mild headache, some insomnia and nausea but it wont be the end of the world.
3rd I start off with coffee everyday, then because I'm tired I drink coffee and an energy drink, and when that isn't doing it for me I start adding caffeine pills to the mix/ adding more and more kratom to your dose because the effects aren't the same and continually raising the tolerance. Now this is where things become negative. At that heightened dose of caffeine or kratom you start to experience more negative effects than positive ones, such as with caffeine at high doses like that you become irritable, get headaches, shaky and other issues. At this point quitting caffeine will be horrible, and you will experience awful withdrawals, just like you will if you take kratom in this way.

My point is you have to take responsibility for what you put in your body and how you take it. You should do research and take things slow when you start taking any kind of herbal supplement. When you dont there are going to be negative consequences, I mean they taking some vitamins and them taking too many and of course you are going to get sick.
User avatar
brave777
Kratom Master (Rank 10)
Kratom Master (Rank 10)
Posts: 1857
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:05 am

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by brave777 »

Wow you been taking one table spoon a dose? did you know that can reach close to 10 grams each dose?? Honestly i think everyone will agree with me, its your fault for not buying a scale. Everyone talks about it how important it is, you cant be playing guessing game here. Those who are careless will learn the hard way, i hope you never use kratom again or any other stuff. Of course i cant stop you so its just my hope.

Everyone i told, they start with 1 gram, thats a teaspoon flat or even less, like less then half tea spoon? that;s enough too help with mild mood boost and some pain. THose who abuse anything deserve what they get because they dont learn any other way.
Kratom user since 2014!
Damen ck
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by Damen ck »

Kratom withdrawals are most definitely worse than caffeine withdrawals. It's not even close.
Marcussk
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:45 am
Location: WNC

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by Marcussk »

Damen ck wrote:Kratom withdrawals are most definitely worse than caffeine withdrawals. It's not even close.
I really think it's the amount you take. I took few days off a couple weeks ago and it wasn't that bad. I mean you got to consider the amount of caffeine you take in comparison to the amount of kratom you consume to make an accurate comparison. To me I have had much worse caffeine withdrawals, and now I pay attention to how much caffeine I consume every day.
Damen ck
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by Damen ck »

I drink caffeine daily, in large amounts, and the withdrawals are never more than tiredness, irritability and cravings. Even a medium sized kratom habit brings on opiate like wd - restlessness, insomnia, feeling cold, to name a few. Caffeine withdrawal is much more cerebral, whereas kratom wd delves into the physical realm and becomes physically uncomfortable, on top of the symptoms from caffeine wd. I used to do opiates and kratom wd reminds me much more of tramadol or a small hydrocodone discontinuation. To me quitting caffeine is more like quitting cigarettes. To be sure, none of them are fun, and some people will say kratom isn't technically a drug, but take it everyday for six months and tell me you have no symptoms. :(

Of course, YMMV...this has just been my experience
Zeedra
Super Kratomite (Rank 3)
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 29, 2018 5:23 pm

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by Zeedra »

multiple years here, over 4 - and i take breaks every now and then. i don't experience any traditional withdrawals that you speak of other than chills, sensitivity to cold, yawning and just generally feeling sluggish. i sleep fine and have no stomach issues or anything. ime, how often you take kratom makes a bigger difference! i take it once a day.
Marcussk
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:45 am
Location: WNC

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by Marcussk »

When I was younger I took a lot of harder drugs, and for me even at six months kratom wd are nothing compared to opiates and benzos. I might be slightly uncomfortable for a few days when I dont take kratom (of course I take less than 20 grams per day) but when I quit my percocet habit I had awful withdrawals for over 6 months. I had insomnia, muscle spasms and incredible pain when I quit. I remember times that the muscle spasms were so bad that it felt like my ribs were going to split my rib cage open. It took years before I could wake up and my first thoughts weren't along the lines of snorting a line. If kratom affects you like that then I wouldn't take it. Luckily it doesn't affect me like that or I wouldn't take it. To each their own experience, but the worst I have gotten when I dont take kratom is a headache and some irritability which doesn't affect my daily life.
Zeedra wrote:multiple years here, over 4 - and i take breaks every now and then. i don't experience any traditional withdrawals that you speak of other than chills, sensitivity to cold, yawning and just generally feeling sluggish. i sleep fine and have no stomach issues or anything. ime, how often you take kratom makes a bigger difference! i take it once a day.
That's exactly my point. It has alot to do with how much you take and how many times you take it. I enjoy how kratom can help with pain, but I primarily take it to help with my depression and give me energy. I dont increase my dose when it stops working I just stop taking it, maybe for just a day or maybe for a week or longer. If you are getting terrible withdrawals from it then you need to reduce your dose or not take it at all, because it shouldn't have such negative effects like that.
Damen ck
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by Damen ck »

True, I take kratom multiple times a day, so I'm sure that makes my withdrawals worse. Multiple years here too. I don't ever get stomach problems during wd, like with some opiates, but feeling cold and lethargy are the main ones I get. I also drink way too much caffeine, but trying to curtail that. I find that too much caffeine can inhibit the effects of kratom a little bit.

One point that OP made is right, if you consistently take too much, you can feel it taking a toll on your liver, to the point where it can get uncomfortable. A tablespoon is quite a bit too...it's easy to get 10-15 grams on a big kitchen spoon for sure. As a poster above said, less can be more, and I'm not surprised you're getting sick of kratom after taking so much. My advice would be to taper down slowly to 1-2 TEAspoons a dose, if you're really against getting a scale, and go from there. Maybe taking a break would be a good idea, and hey, kratom isn't for everyone either.
Marcussk
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 373
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:45 am
Location: WNC

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by Marcussk »

Damen ck wrote:True, I take kratom multiple times a day, so I'm sure that makes my withdrawals worse. Multiple years here too. I don't ever get stomach problems during wd, like with some opiates, but feeling cold and lethargy are the main ones I get. I also drink way too much caffeine, but trying to curtail that. I find that too much caffeine can inhibit the effects of kratom a little bit.

One point that OP made is right, if you consistently take too much, you can feel it taking a toll on your liver, to the point where it can get uncomfortable. A tablespoon is quite a bit too...it's easy to get 10-15 grams on a big kitchen spoon for sure. As a poster above said, less can be more, and I'm not surprised you're getting sick of kratom after taking so much. My advice would be to taper down slowly to 1-2 TEAspoons a dose, if you're really against getting a scale, and go from there. Maybe taking a break would be a good idea, and hey, kratom isn't for everyone either.
That's very true. I didn't use a scale when I first started, I thought I was taking 4 grams a dose and I was taking way more. I believe in using a scale now and weigh every dose. Through tapering and taking breaks I have gotten down to 6gpd, which is how I've gotten a feel for the withdrawals a little bit, but 6grams is a whole lot more manageable and I get much more pleasant effects.
User avatar
BallzDeep9
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Kratom Legend (Rank 12)
Posts: 3627
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:33 am
Contact:

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by BallzDeep9 »

cjpummel wrote:... about a tablespoon (maybe a little less) of the powdered form every evening before bed. I order it from a very reputable site on the internet. At first, it did help some with my pain, but I actually like the euphoric natures of the drug best of all. After about four months I became a little more immune and the affects were not as noticeable so I started increasing my dosage.
You have a legit reason to enjoy kratom.. and you DID enjoy it! For sure :P during your honeymoon period a few months. We ALL go through this. Learning how to manage your kratom intake.. along with your pain and your daily mood. Pain Management.. that's what doctors call it right?

It's about finding your sweet spot, then a Serving Size a little more or less. You called it a drug, but it's a supplement.. That correct Serving is gonna be around 3 g with daily total around 4-6 gpd for the majority of people. (Exception being those w/ high tolerance through opiate abuse.) So... lets say 2 servings per day. 3g morning +2 evening = 5 gpd. I really think that's a good average. Gives an easy re-set down to 2, for a few days to re-set tolerance. Also leaves enough Headroom, to boost up to 7 just for a day and really feel it!

Another guy made a post about LTD = Lowest Threshold Dose. I just commented there & gave a YouTube video link.. Sad. Very Sad the "majority" of folks don't seem to care or know about this. Then get frustrated and decide to quit? Or... some guys, just keep taking more & more & more.. they do 50, 60 gpd. Even more. Unbelievable. (Reddit has a r/quittingkratom sub,) I'm glad that's not you! :geek:
Banned on Reddit: KratomVendors is now on SAIDIT!
Please check out my current Auctions/ Sales on MM Trading Post! I'm also on MeWe/ Saidit/ Reddit. Thanks!
MycatTimmy
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:07 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by MycatTimmy »

A little kratom withdrawal seems thing to complain about. Sorry my friend
Last edited by MycatTimmy on Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damen ck
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Extreme Kratomite (Rank 5)
Posts: 404
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:30 pm

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by Damen ck »

MycatTimmy wrote:I live with the pain of having a spine with a greater than 20 degree right angle curve in it ( scoliosis ). A little kratom withdrawal seems like a rather candyass thing to complain about. Sorry my friend
:roll:
This isn't about one-upsmanship. I'm sure someone with cancer could say the same about your condition. Sorry about your spine but no need to be rude about it.
MycatTimmy
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Posts: 517
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:07 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by MycatTimmy »

Your right I was rude and I apologize sincerely. I shouldn’t have tried to walk in someone else’s shoes or give someone else advice !! I’m not generally one to offer advice when I have no idea what I’m talking about
Payshince
Kratom Pro (Rank 8)
Kratom Pro (Rank 8)
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:24 pm
Location: NH

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by Payshince »

Thank you Marcus for your comment I like your point of view a lot and it makes sense!!

I believe OP can BENEFIT immensely from your comment along with other’s too. I believe OP can benefit from Kratom as well he/ she just needs to learn how to properly consume something safely, like anything, like anyone!

I used to get negative effects from Kratom too but I CONSTANTLY LEARNED more and more from the community and unfortunately with time too like a lot of us do. We’re humans, we’re stubborn I know I was a year ago taking 7 doses a day! ...Now I take 4.* YOU WOULDNT BELIEVE HOW MUCH BETTER I FEEL.**
Eventually without giving up I turned it around and the plant works in my favor again! :)

Best of luck OP
and please try to keep an open mind
This Plant CAN be tricky
I know it can be. But you have to work with it yourself
Good things don't come easily. Remember that.* :idea: :P
- Payshince
Spencemastaflex
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:25 pm

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by Spencemastaflex »

So you join a kratom forum and make one post just to shit on it? It sounds like you weren't very responsible with it. Yeah there's some w/d if you don't taper carefully but also most people aren't taking a TABLESPOON per dose that is rediculous.
User avatar
brave777
Kratom Master (Rank 10)
Kratom Master (Rank 10)
Posts: 1857
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:05 am

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by brave777 »

Payshine 7 doses a day? i think max i went is 3-4 doses a day and i thought it was over kill, at the same time i can see how 7 doses can work if you take like 2 grams every 3 hours? or 2 hours? I think 4 grams a dose with all the fire is plenty for me, i noticed even 6 grams is over killing it slightly lol. thanks to all the small vendors, i sure do like fire as well, i rather take less and feel it good long hours. Let not kid our selfs, treat your self good once in a while but dont kill it by doing it constant and often. Discipline to have least 6 or 12 hour break every the other day is very important because it makes all kratom like new. if you dont allow a break for your body, you will keep increasing it until you end up in another part of the world called quitkratom reddit. Best is to learn to hold back.


Some good advice here on storage as well.
Kratom user since 2014!
KratomGod
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:01 am

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by KratomGod »

brave777 wrote:Payshine 7 doses a day? i think max i went is 3-4 doses a day and i thought it was over kill, at the same time i can see how 7 doses can work if you take like 2 grams every 3 hours? or 2 hours? I think 4 grams a dose with all the fire is plenty for me, i noticed even 6 grams is over killing it slightly lol. thanks to all the small vendors, i sure do like fire as well, i rather take less and feel it good long hours. Let not kid our selfs, treat your self good once in a while but dont kill it by doing it constant and often. Discipline to have least 6 or 12 hour break every the other day is very important because it makes all kratom like new. if you dont allow a break for your body, you will keep increasing it until you end up in another part of the world called quitkratom reddit. Best is to learn to hold back.


Some good advice here on storage as well.
Yeah for me personally I wouldn't be able to handle drinking the bitter taste every few hours :lol: . That's one of the things that stops me from going over healthy daily doses is how unpleasant it is to drink.
RumRunner
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Ultimate Kratomite (Rank 6)
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:33 am

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by RumRunner »

KratomGod wrote:
brave777 wrote:Payshine 7 doses a day? i think max i went is 3-4 doses a day and i thought it was over kill, at the same time i can see how 7 doses can work if you take like 2 grams every 3 hours? or 2 hours? I think 4 grams a dose with all the fire is plenty for me, i noticed even 6 grams is over killing it slightly lol. thanks to all the small vendors, i sure do like fire as well, i rather take less and feel it good long hours. Let not kid our selfs, treat your self good once in a while but dont kill it by doing it constant and often. Discipline to have least 6 or 12 hour break every the other day is very important because it makes all kratom like new. if you dont allow a break for your body, you will keep increasing it until you end up in another part of the world called quitkratom reddit. Best is to learn to hold back.


Some good advice here on storage as well.
Yeah for me personally I wouldn't be able to handle drinking the bitter taste every few hours :lol: . That's one of the things that stops me from going over healthy daily doses is how unpleasant it is to drink.
There are methods to avoid the bitter taste. I can’t toss ‘n wash. Never been able to do it. So I’ll mix a dosage in a bottle of OJ.
And mixed in chocolate milk, bitterness is almost covered up. Oblate discs are another choice for those who can’t tolerate the taste.
KratomGod
Dedicated Kratomite (Rank 2)
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:01 am

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by KratomGod »

RumRunner wrote:
KratomGod wrote:
brave777 wrote:Payshine 7 doses a day? i think max i went is 3-4 doses a day and i thought it was over kill, at the same time i can see how 7 doses can work if you take like 2 grams every 3 hours? or 2 hours? I think 4 grams a dose with all the fire is plenty for me, i noticed even 6 grams is over killing it slightly lol. thanks to all the small vendors, i sure do like fire as well, i rather take less and feel it good long hours. Let not kid our selfs, treat your self good once in a while but dont kill it by doing it constant and often. Discipline to have least 6 or 12 hour break every the other day is very important because it makes all kratom like new. if you dont allow a break for your body, you will keep increasing it until you end up in another part of the world called quitkratom reddit. Best is to learn to hold back.


Some good advice here on storage as well.
Yeah for me personally I wouldn't be able to handle drinking the bitter taste every few hours :lol: . That's one of the things that stops me from going over healthy daily doses is how unpleasant it is to drink.
There are methods to avoid the bitter taste. I can’t toss ‘n wash. Never been able to do it. So I’ll mix a dosage in a bottle of OJ.
And mixed in chocolate milk, bitterness is almost covered up. Oblate discs are another choice for those who can’t tolerate the taste.
Interesting, never heard of people mixing it with chocolate milk. Personally since I'm lazy I tend to mix my kratom with ice cold water because I can tolerate the taste it's just not pleasant at all. I may start experimenting with OJ though as I've heard that potentiates the kratom.
User avatar
brave777
Kratom Master (Rank 10)
Kratom Master (Rank 10)
Posts: 1857
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:05 am

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by brave777 »

I started out with chocolate milk, but it can get expensive buying by a gallon. I rand out raw milk and the farm didnt have any, i used just water and wow how awful it is.. Chocolate milk or raw milk can cover most of the taste. Raw milk has lots of good fats maybe that why i felt hit like new, oh and to top the raw milk i add two spoons of raw honey... You can barley taste the kratom.
Kratom user since 2014!
User avatar
INSENSE3
Intense Kratomite (Rank 4)
Posts: 295
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:40 pm
Location: Placerville, CA
Contact:

Re: Quitting Kratom Usage

Post by INSENSE3 »

I appreciate all of the opinions here. I agree with most. Kratom is not a drug. It’s a botanical supplement. But, like everything else, it can be abused and misused. And it is! Some people use $40/bottle extract of the stuff twice a day and claim they are sober.

Everyone has to find their own way to use it safely. I agree with the original post about people saying, “they can’t live without it”, but I consider that statement to mean they’d rather not. Not life or death stuff. And sometimes people NEED lots of stuff that I wouldn’t need. And I never ever judge another person’s pain or invalidate it, period. If they’re lyin, they’ve got bigger problems going on and it’s none of my business to set them straight. I certainly wouldn’t support their habit by sending more kratom to them (I’ve sent care packages to cons sitting on ten kilos, etc). Only do it once, at least, lol. :lol:

In the case here, the use was never done as recommended or suggested. Period.

Reduction by a wean system is recommended for daily users to comfortably discontinue use.

Finally, if you “feel” anything from kratom besides a wee bit better, you’re doing it wrong. Or, it’s not a good fit for your body chemistry and discontinue use! Not after 4 months. Immediately. This is merely an opinion, not a criticism.

Hope everyone is doing well and safe considering all that’s going on with each human each day. Sending virtual hugs and still enjoying the posts related to kratom, covid-19 and other stuff. Be safe and well,

Laurie
INSENSE3
Thanks for being a part of today's solution!
Post Reply